Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I am a mom of 2 dd and live in nj. Before kids i was a teacher public school teacher in NY. Funny thing is that I do not think I could ever teach my own children!!

We do not home school. We don't know anyone who does as I do not think it is common practice where I live.

So, I was wondering what are your reason for homeschooling?
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Replies (31-40):
melindabelcher
by Mel on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Ours does but not untill older ages.

Quoting Beebella:

To the moms that say their kids were too advanced, did your public schools have gifted and talented programs?

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
There really isn't one website that sums up homeschooling. There are many different styles and ways of homeschooling.

Quoting rosiemarie:

My interest has be peeked

Is there a site that I could get a good feel for the homeschooling program....I know I think there are more then one??
Beebella
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
In NYC they start in kindergarten. I was in it and it was plenty challenging and alternative to mainstream learning. I was just wondering if these parents had their kids tested for the gifted classes before they decided on homeschooling.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Ours does but not untill older ages.

Quoting Beebella:

To the moms that say their kids were too advanced, did your public schools have gifted and talented programs?

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

It is funny how many things can be going on in a town without you knowing it. I have lived in this area since I was 10yrs old, and I am still exploring and finding new things. I love that about where I live =)

We love homeschooling and that is all anyone needs to know. Not to be a jerk about it, I just don't feel like justifying my reasons. I don't ask anyone else to justify theirs.  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
My sister started homeschooling her kids before mine was old enough for school. So because of her I started thinking about homeschooling. My daughter was in public school until 2nd grade. By that point I learned more about homeschooling and I finally realized what no child left behind meant. At the beginning of second grade my daughter kept complaining of being bored. So we had decided to pull her at winter break. Not long after we decided that a girl started a physical fight with my daughter. It wasn't handled well. On top of that there were no teachers on the play ground, which is where the fight started. So we went ahead and pulled her out. We've been homeschooling ever since. My daughter loves it!
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Short answer - medical reasons and bullying

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Love this! It is so true

Quoting MacMamaof5:

Homeschool has no boundaries except for what you make it. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I don't know that DS is gifted, just easily bored.  They don't have anything here until third grade and that isn't even very much.  It isn't until high school that they can really branch out.

Quoting Beebella:

Beebella
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Really? In NYC they have gifted and talented classes starting from kindergarten.

Quoting kmath:

I don't know that DS is gifted, just easily bored.  They don't have anything here until third grade and that isn't even very much.  It isn't until high school that they can really branch out.

Quoting Beebella:

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Yeah, it really sucks.  They have seperate classes for math and science, but they don't have anything for LA until high school. 

Quoting Beebella:

Really? In NYC they have gifted and talented classes starting from kindergarten.

Quoting kmath:

Quoting Beebella:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)