Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

For those with kids who are dyslexic, I have a ?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM
  • 5 Replies

So my daughter was recently tested for dysgraphia and dyslexia. She tested not having dysgraphia, and not dyslexia, but she consistantly gets B D C and P (and the lower case counter parts) confused (in both reading and writing). There are times she knows she says the wrong letters, and immediately corrects herself, and other times she continues on not realizing she said the wrong word. They're having her still do 6 OT appointments with them, but even the therapist said it was most likely not going to help, but they had to do at least that before they can refer her to a speech pathologist.

I guess my question is, what exactly is dyslexia? From what I looked up and what I was explained to by the therpaist, it can be a number of different things for different people, including mixing up letters...does that mean all letters?? I never thought she had it severely if she did, but enough to make reading complicated for her, not so enjoyable, and making comprehension near impossible since she's not reading the correct words.

I just don't want to be wasting time going to appointments whith people who are doubtful they can help when I can just go to her primary doctor and get a referal to elsewhere if we need to.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

How old is she.  A lot of kids have a problem with B,D and P,Q and some of the others up to 2nd grade.  It doesn't necessarily mean dyslexia.  Keep working with her.   

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM

She's 9, 4th grade.
So, at her appt today, we got a copy of the evaluation and they have her as in the summary, having perceptual motor and reading comprehension difficulties as well as sensory processing and modulation difficulties. These sensory processing and modulation symptoms are affecting her learning as they serve as interruptions within these routines particularly during non-preferred activities. Based on teh results from teh Jordan Reversal Test, she is fucntioning at a level below the average of the same-age peers. She also scored below average on all the other tests she was given.
What blew my mind though, was that the letter "c" was giving her more problems than the letter "q" or "g".

crzy4crm
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
www.therightsideofnormal.com%2F2013%2F06%2F12%2Fdyslexia-or-right-brained-dominant%2F&h=hAQGRpPRl&s=1
See if you can open this link. My son is 9 and does the same thing. This explains a lot. Also, look into print inverted reading.
Hope this helps.
celticdragon77
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

The best website I ever found on Dyslexia, was the Barton website. 

http://bartonreading.com/dys.html

After you get to that website. There will be links for signs and symptoms, etc. Those links go to videos on her website. VERY informative!!!

Good Luck!

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Thank you :). I'll look into both sites more when we get home  from our mini vacation. I've got them bookmarked, and set as a reminder for when I get home!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)