Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What was I thinking?!? Co-op (long, rambling and rather pointless)

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

I feel like the Home Alone kid.

The fall after we started hs'ing, I joined a large co-op that was pretty much the only one within an hour's drive. Very conservative Christian group, lovely people, fun classes. A bit rigid for my tastes, but nothing that we couldn't put our heads down and work through. But since we don't homeschool for religious reasons, I kept looking for a group that was more inclusive.

Well, that co-op decided to take a break and not meet this fall, which left a big gap, but also a big opportunity to include people of all different walks of life.

After a couple of false starts, a few of us from different Yahoo/FB homeschool groups in the area ended up being part of the team that is getting things off the ground. We have a location, a calendar, by-laws, registration forms, a website...all the dominoes are being set in place.

Because I can't keep my hand down when people ask for volunteers, I'm the Class Coordinator. Basically, I have 4 people in my little pyramid who will be the go-to people for the teachers in different age groups (Preschool, K-6, 7-12, and adult). It all looks so organized on paper. *gg*

We've sent out Class Proposal forms to everyone who indicated an interest in teaching, sent out messages on FB... And people are responding with different class ideas. It's actually coming together.

I'm kind of in awe, really. How amazing. A group where homeschooling is the focus, not any particular faith.

So thrilled to be able to be part of this and meet so many new people who have been looking for something like this. Wish us luck!

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM
That is awesome! I would be sooo excited if it were me. :) And maybe just a tad bit proud too. :) Good work doing spmething that you wanted to have happen. I am proud of you. :)
kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM

How very cool!  Good luck with the group!

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM

CONGRATS!!

In looking out for your best interest, I wanted to make sure that you are covered with insurance through the facility you will be using or by having a liability waiver for each family to sign. As good as your intentions and as prepaired as you all will try to be, there will almost ALWAYS be something or someone that will test the bounderies and make you wish you had covered your rear!! : )

I have been the director of our co-op for the past year. So, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Thank you.

Yep, we've got insurance of our own, as well as through the church we're using. That was one of the first issues we covered at our first meeting! *gg*

We're lucky to have several moms experienced with both homeschooling and running co-ops as part of our coordination team. Thank goodness! Because they do remind us of details we might not have thought of on our own.

Quoting swim-mom72:

CONGRATS!!

In looking out for your best interest, I wanted to make sure that you are covered with insurance through the facility you will be using or by having a liability waiver for each family to sign. As good as your intentions and as prepaired as you all will try to be, there will almost ALWAYS be something or someone that will test the bounderies and make you wish you had covered your rear!! : )

I have been the director of our co-op for the past year. So, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM

That is great.

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM

It sounds like you have a great group of leaders!! Glad to know you are trying to cover all your bases.

Other things that work for us: a central gmail account, a P.O. box (instead of sending mail to someone's house), regular in person meetings for the leaders and the ability to be flexable : )

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Thank you.

Yep, we've got insurance of our own, as well as through the church we're using. That was one of the first issues we covered at our first meeting! *gg*

We're lucky to have several moms experienced with both homeschooling and running co-ops as part of our coordination team. Thank goodness! Because they do remind us of details we might not have thought of on our own.

Quoting swim-mom72:

CONGRATS!!

Good luck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Yay!
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

That's fantastic! I was considering starting a similar group but just for play days at parks - there is one, very casual, but it's specifically Christian. I have nothing against Christians (I'm one myself LOL) but I don't see why my children have to be sheltered from Jews or Hindus or even - gasp! - agnostics and atheists!  

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
That's awesome. The group I found and joined is a conservative Christian group and my only reservations is they don't seem to know whether they are comfortable with my non-believing husband helping and he wants to help with everything that my kids do.

They have not said straight out he can't come to things so we are going on that for now.

The ladies are pretty nice though. So maybe after to getting to know us they will be more comfortable.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM

good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)