Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What was I thinking?!? Co-op (long, rambling and rather pointless)

I feel like the Home Alone kid.

The fall after we started hs'ing, I joined a large co-op that was pretty much the only one within an hour's drive. Very conservative Christian group, lovely people, fun classes. A bit rigid for my tastes, but nothing that we couldn't put our heads down and work through. But since we don't homeschool for religious reasons, I kept looking for a group that was more inclusive.

Well, that co-op decided to take a break and not meet this fall, which left a big gap, but also a big opportunity to include people of all different walks of life.

After a couple of false starts, a few of us from different Yahoo/FB homeschool groups in the area ended up being part of the team that is getting things off the ground. We have a location, a calendar, by-laws, registration forms, a website...all the dominoes are being set in place.

Because I can't keep my hand down when people ask for volunteers, I'm the Class Coordinator. Basically, I have 4 people in my little pyramid who will be the go-to people for the teachers in different age groups (Preschool, K-6, 7-12, and adult). It all looks so organized on paper. *gg*

We've sent out Class Proposal forms to everyone who indicated an interest in teaching, sent out messages on FB... And people are responding with different class ideas. It's actually coming together.

I'm kind of in awe, really. How amazing. A group where homeschooling is the focus, not any particular faith.

So thrilled to be able to be part of this and meet so many new people who have been looking for something like this. Wish us luck!

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Replies (11-17):
oredeb
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

wow thats great susan!!!! sounds so fun!

lucsch
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Well, that's great. We actually have something like that in our area. However, I personally prefer the faith-based group that is for support and fun only, myself, so we don't use them. My dd did take an art class, about a year ago, but she really didn't enjoy it, and it took a large chunk of our day, driving there and back. I also don't want to use a co-op for teaching my daughter--that's why I homeschool. It is good to have all kinds of groups available, though, to fit a wide range of needs. I know some people really like a co-op, where it is more like a private school than homeschool. Good luck!

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

VERY cool. =) Good Luck!!!

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Fantastic! I hope this works out for you

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Ours isn't that kind of co-op. It's more about enrichment and supplementation than trying to teach a full curriculum. We're thinking of it more as short unit studies. For instance, instead of having a class called US History, someone might do a class on the 1920s, or Lewis and Clark, or Women's Suffrage, or something like that. It really only adds up to 20 class days per school year, so it's tough to tackle something really broad.

Quoting lucsch:

Well, that's great. We actually have something like that in our area. However, I personally prefer the faith-based group that is for support and fun only, myself, so we don't use them. My dd did take an art class, about a year ago, but she really didn't enjoy it, and it took a large chunk of our day, driving there and back. I also don't want to use a co-op for teaching my daughter--that's why I homeschool. It is good to have all kinds of groups available, though, to fit a wide range of needs. I know some people really like a co-op, where it is more like a private school than homeschool. Good luck!

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Sounds great.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Lol, I'm soooo glad I'm not the only one who does the forehead slap after leaving a meeting only to realize I've volunteered...again...for EVERYTHING. Lol 

i am the co-director of our co-op as well...lol..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)