Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any "unconventional" homeschoolers out there??

Posted by   + Show Post

Do any of you do things a little out of the norm? Maybe you would even call yourself "unconventional?" I am wondering if any of you have success with schooling at night or later in the day, or maybe you have no textbooks or workbooks and do ALL or most of your learning from life or from real books?

I want to hear about what works for you!

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
swim-mom72
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:10 AM

This sounds a lot like us : )  Well, minus the black belt part, LOL!

As my oldest has gotten older he has become more and more of a traditional learner. He is very driven and helps me choose materials he think will help him most in his goal to becoming a physician's assistant.

My younger one is pretty much the opposit of traditional : ) He is really the reason why I thought to make this post in the first place. Although I have bought most of his materials for his coming 8th grade year, I am looking into different ways to "do school" I guess. Plus, I am always fascinated to hear what works for others.

Quoting jen2150:

I am not sure if we are unconventional.  I use a little bit of everything.  We use textbooks, workbook, my own lessons, living books.  We are also very child led.  My kids love picking their own spelling words.  I am also working on getting my black belt with my boys.  I love designing  my own creative lessons.  I just finished a class called geography through art.  This summer I am designing a class on creative math.  

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM
My boys are far from traditional.They enjoy putting their own spin on Everything. I enjoy seeing where they take every lesson.

Quoting swim-mom72:

This sounds a lot like us : )  Well, minus the black belt part, LOL!

As my oldest has gotten older he has become more and more of a traditional learner. He is very driven and helps me choose materials he think will help him most in his goal to becoming a physician's assistant.

My younger one is pretty much the opposit of traditional : ) He is really the reason why I thought to make this post in the first place. Although I have bought most of his materials for his coming 8th grade year, I am looking into different ways to "do school" I guess. Plus, I am always fascinated to hear what works for others.

Quoting jen2150:

I am not sure if we are unconventional.  I use a little bit of everything.  We use textbooks, workbook, my own lessons, living books.  We are also very child led.  My kids love picking their own spelling words.  I am also working on getting my black belt with my boys.  I love designing  my own creative lessons.  I just finished a class called geography through art.  This summer I am designing a class on creative math.  

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I know mine is going to turn out unconventional due to my busy bee 3 year old lol. My dh thinks I need to wake up D early and have set times for lessons. Boo on that idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Yes, we use primarily "living" books, which means they are books written about a subject by one author who is really excited and knowledgable about the subject. We do use workbooks where it makes sense--handwriting and math, for example. The only textbook we have is for grammar, but we do most of it orally. Instead of worksheets, we use something called "notebooking" which is more free-style. The child chooses what to write. This is considered written narration. Instead of quizzes and tests, we do oral and written narrations to show understanding and retention. I also give no grades. School generally starts at noon.

Our curriculum is also Christ-centered...every subject, not just a class called Bible.

ETA: My dd does as much as possible by herself, then we get together and go over the parts that she needs to do with me (oral narrations or introduction to a math concept, for example). We also do a read-aloud constantly, where I read to her, even though she is an excellent reader.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM

We are unconventional child-led learners. We are available to learn 7days a week, whenever the mood strikes. We rarely use a textbook, never a workbook. We love it!

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I was hoping you would reply ; )

You make it sound so simple, LOL! Like there's not more to it! But I know you put a lot of effort into creating your own curriculum for your kids.

Quoting KickButtMama:

We are unconventional child-led learners. We are available to learn 7days a week, whenever the mood strikes. We rarely use a textbook, never a workbook. We love it!

acrogodess
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I do a mixture between unschooling and having a curriculum. I don't stress the curriculum so long as I can see they are learning for themselves. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I fully admit I put 100% effort into it, but only 70% is really needed. I always end up writing waaaay more than we need or use. I wrote a bit about designing my own - http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Designing+your+own+curriculum

Quoting swim-mom72:

I was hoping you would reply ; )

You make it sound so simple, LOL! Like there's not more to it! But I know you put a lot of effort into creating your own curriculum for your kids.

Quoting KickButtMama:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Yes...no...maybe. lol
I use a little bit of workbooks, I write most of the lessons, I also love using activity books for the little one's. I also copy from the internet. We have tons of discussions. Debate everything. Do reports on opinions proving both sides of the argument/debate.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

We officially school from 1pm to 6pm year round. And we do most, not all, from living books.  My daughter learns best that way.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)