Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any "unconventional" homeschoolers out there??

Posted by   + Show Post

Do any of you do things a little out of the norm? Maybe you would even call yourself "unconventional?" I am wondering if any of you have success with schooling at night or later in the day, or maybe you have no textbooks or workbooks and do ALL or most of your learning from life or from real books?

I want to hear about what works for you!

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Replies (21-24):
Tal0n
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM

We're eclectic.  Mostly child led, but right now math is on the board...she's doing lots of it.

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

This is the time frame that I am thinking of for my youngest. He is about to be 13, and is fairly independant with his work. But the things that he does still need my help with, like the read alouds and narration and science experiments would go by so much smoother without interuption.

There were so many days this past year that I wound up feeling a bit discuraged because of all of the interuptions we have before noon. Plus, I think he is more productive in the late afternoon.

Do you find that your daughter is more focused on school work at this later time of the day?

Quoting Silverkitty:

We officially school from 1pm to 6pm year round. And we do most, not all, from living books.  My daughter learns best that way.  

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

She is more focused.  She is NOT a morning person, but a night owl like myself.  We usually spend the first two hours doing things together and the rest she does on her own at her own pace.

Quoting swim-mom72:

This is the time frame that I am thinking of for my youngest. He is about to be 13, and is fairly independant with his work. But the things that he does still need my help with, like the read alouds and narration and science experiments would go by so much smoother without interuption.

There were so many days this past year that I wound up feeling a bit discuraged because of all of the interuptions we have before noon. Plus, I think he is more productive in the late afternoon.

Do you find that your daughter is more focused on school work at this later time of the day?

Quoting Silverkitty:

We officially school from 1pm to 6pm year round. And we do most, not all, from living books.  My daughter learns best that way.  

101stwife
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm. I think that we are more traditional, but I could be wrong. I don't make them get up at 7am or anything like that. Sometimes they do their math in their pajamas on the couch lol. I don't force them to sit at their desk. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. My middle son does best in the morning and my youngest son does better after 10am. Sometimes we do school work outside or even at the pool. I don't follow one set curriculum...I find what works best for us. I even made up my own history curriculum last year while we were still in Germany and could visit many WWI and WWII sites. Hmm, maybe we are unconventional?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)