Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok,  I'm one of those moms who always has schoolwork on me...for emergencies..lol...

Where is the weirdest place you've ever schooled? 

We've done some doozies : 

1) Canadian Immigration when I accidentally ended up in Canada when trying to see Niagara Falls

2) courthouse - I had to fight a ticket..lol..

3) side of the road - when we had a breakdown

4) the parkinglot of my dh's work - when a tornado came through - we had just arrived to pick up my hubby. We live in the north east where tornadoes are really rare, but I launched into a lesson on storms to keep the kids calm as we bolted for the basement of dh's work..lol..

what about you?

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
Hafsa1
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM
I see lol. That stinks about immigration though, sometimes you get a nasty officer, though they have overall gotten nicer over the years. Canadian side is a better view of the falls though.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, ok we live in CT, but I had taken the kids to visit family in OH. We drove back through upstate NY just to see the falls. Coming from oh, there are 2 exits for the falls. The American and the Canadian. I took the American exit. The traffic was terrible. All along this road there were no real signs, just these little blue square pictures of a waterfall...no arrow or anything. So I took them as a good indicator of direction. After a time in traffic I realized the traffic was so terrible because of a bridge wat the end of the road. But I could see the falls just a bit out of the corner. We got on the bridge (in very slow moving traffic) and could see the falls on our left. Then as we approached the end of the bridge there was a sign, "Welcome to Canada" and I thought, "oops!" Lol. When the guard stopped me I told him I didn't want to enter the country, but it was too late, there was no turn around. So we had to go into immigration for 4 Hours! Then we had to do the same when we got to the American side of the bridge. The bridge was as close as my kids got tot he falls. I gave up..lol.

Quoting Hafsa1:

Just curious as to how you end up in Canada and not know? There are signs everywhere! I'm not bashing, seriously asking because dh did the same thing when he first moved to the area and he wasn't even trying to see the falls. I grew up in buffalo and went to the falls often, and just don't see how it happens.

for me, I've brought work to the doc offices for ds. Sometimes the appointments are really long.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Ok,  I'm one of those moms who always has schoolwork on me...for emergencies..lol...

Where is the weirdest place you've ever schooled? 

We've done some doozies : 

1) Canadian Immigration when I accidentally ended up in Canada when trying to see Niagara Falls

2) courthouse - I had to fight a ticket..lol..

3) side of the road - when we had a breakdown

4) the parkinglot of my dh's work - when a tornado came through - we had just arrived to pick up my hubby. We live in the north east where tornadoes are really rare, but I launched into a lesson on storms to keep the kids calm as we bolted for the basement of dh's work..lol..

what about you?

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

We did some stuff on clouds while we were on the airplane last week.  We haven't "officially" started yet though so that is about the weirdest place so far. 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM

The transplant center at UMASS

Webs Yarn Store in Northampton, MA 

Manchester mall when we broke down

Hooters - again broke down

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM
I have homeschooled just about everywhere.lol
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM

O. M. G. I'm going to Webs this Saturday w/ my BFF (who also homeschools!) I'm an obsessive tatter

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM

What an awesome opportunity!

Quoting kmath:

We did some stuff on clouds while we were on the airplane last week.  We haven't "officially" started yet though so that is about the weirdest place so far. 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM
We were featured on their website as homeschooling knitters. I teach the children knitting, crochet, weaving, and spinning.

Quoting KickButtMama:

O. M. G. I'm going to Webs this Saturday w/ my BFF (who also homeschools!) I'm an obsessive tatter

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM

That's awesome! My boys are my support system, but they totally can recognize the difference when I knit, crochet, tat, sew or whatever needle point...lol.. I'm just starting my Etsy shop, but I've done commission pieces (mostly doilies). So I'm super excited about visiting Webs!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

We were featured on their website as homeschooling knitters. I teach the children knitting, crochet, weaving, and spinning.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Thank you.  It is expensive but I figured it was cheaper than driving since I am going all the way out to MT.  At the very least it won't cost any more.  I also don't have to drive so that is a big plus.  

Quoting KickButtMama:

We are hoping to save up money to take a train to DC, I was shocked by the cost! Lol have fun!

Quoting jen2150:

Not sure about in the past but we are taking a train soon so we will be adding a train to the list. I never take anything more than books. My son's favorite textbook is Garfield comic books. LOL.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM

It was really cool.  DS just started asking questions about clouds and what types we were seeing.  Thank goodness for google and onboard wifi! 

Quoting KickButtMama:

What an awesome opportunity!

Quoting kmath:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)