Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

s/o: Any other CONVENTIONAL homeschoolers out there? Lol

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 21 Replies

Anybody else pretty "traditional scholastic" in their approach? (i.e. textbooks, workbooks, projects, etc)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM

WE are very traditional in our approach.  I am going to try some "non-traditional" methods through the fall...until Thanksgiving.  I hope this may bring my kids and I closer to each other.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM

We started out more unconventional and have slowly gravitated to conventional as my kids have gotten older. My dd is too old for the hands on, craft-based curriculums and just wants the structure that conventional education offers. We still do a lot of visual stuff for ds, but most of it is just plain old textbooks.

Homeschoolmom99
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I used K12 for 8 years now going to go off grid this fall

Quoting coala:

WE are very traditional in our approach.  I am going to try some "non-traditional" methods through the fall...until Thanksgiving.  I hope this may bring my kids and I closer to each other.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

We are fairly traditional.   We use workbooks/textbooks for most things.  I am going to do Geography this year for my 1st grader and my 10th grader.  We are going to do parts of it together (to save time) and then they will have separate assignments as well that is on their grade level.

101stwife
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I think that we are definitely traditional.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I don't really know what we are yet as this will be our first year.  I do have a good amout of textbooks/workbooks but I have read enough to know this might not cut it for us and we might have to change it up.  I hope to do a bunch of field trips to reinforce lessons.  So I guess my PLAN for the year is pretty traditional.  We will see how it works out.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

We use a very structured boxed curriculum.  My girls are thriving with it an excelling at a rate faster than their peers.  We are going to start our next year in January, but I don't want them to lose a lot in the 5-6 mos that they will have "off", so we are going a little unconventional and going to learn things that I think they will have fun with....like the solar system and then get to build one.

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

I used K12 for 8 years now going to go off grid this fall

Quoting coala:

kittykister
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM

We also use a very structured boxed curriculum.  Not because I want to, but because my son prefers it.  I've tried other methods with him and he always begs to go back to textbooks. 

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM

We use a structured curriculum. I like structure. My ds is a lot like me so it works pretty well.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

We use textbook, workbooks, projects in a very child led way does that count?  LOL  I definately woldn't call us traditional though.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)