Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

penmanship/handwriting activities

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 5 Replies
I don't think I'm going to use a handwriting curriculum this year (3rd grade). He knows manuscript and cursive already. He does write messy at times still but he's only 8 so I think it's expected. It should be enough practice for him with every day work right? The penmanship curriculum we use goes up to 6th grade, but since he knows how to write I just see it as a waste of time. Isn't that what handwriting curriculum is for....to teach them how to form the letters and things?
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
101stwife
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I am going to use A Reason for Handwriting level K and F. They didn't teach handwriting when my boys were in public school. Even though they will be in 7th grade this year their handwriting is terrible so I am going to do a curriculum this year.

You could do handwriting without a curriculum but if you just do practice with their daily work you would have to make them erase it and do it again if it were messy. Or you could do a pen pal and have him practice writing letters.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I don't think it is necessary if you do enough writing in other subjects.  As long as he knows HOW to write, then the rest is just practice. 

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Third grade he had free writing

oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

your right you dont need it, even if he didnt know how to form the letters etc you still wouldnt need it, you can just make up your own from the internet, i did it for some of the kids i teach and doenst cost anything, well except printing(ink) or yea and paper, hahahaha but its cheaper anyway, you can print out charts, make your own copybooks, and theirs even fonts for the type of print cursive you are teaching! simple!

what i do with my older kids is have them copy passages from something they are reading in history or science or etc. into their writing workbook also the kids are getting practise doing their school work.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Get some copywork sets. Currclick has some or look for ebook sale on Scholastic. They have a copywork book with jokes he may like! Sign up for their sale notices, though. They put them on sale for $1.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)