Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Readers vs actual book

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 8 Replies
I do not homeschool but wanted to ask this group what they thought...

For a 7 year old would you allow them to use a nook instead of having the actual book??
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this
I think that you should let them read! LOL whether it is on a Nook, book, magazine... Whatever. The important thing is that they are reading. 8)
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM
You should use whatever medium they prefer. We take a whole immersion approach. We use as many approaches as possible.
rosiemarie
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Yes that is what I was thinking. I think having a library if actual books is important and I also think since everything is based around tech now that maybe she should read also using a nook

Quoting jen2150:

You should use whatever medium they prefer. We take a whole immersion approach. We use as many approaches as possible.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

What ever the child is comfortable with. I like the readers because if the child is struggling with a word they can touch the word to get the definition. Also they can change the font size & style to one they like in every book they read where as with real books you are stuck with what it is printed as. If I where to go buy one for my children I would get them a Kindle because if you have an Amazon Prime account you can borrow a lot of books from them for free just like from a library, you can't do that with a Nook.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM

As long as they are responsible enough to take care of it, I would let them use whatever they are comfortable with. 

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

We use both.  I love that I have a bunch of books that my kids can hold and touch.  We also have tablets that have the Kindle App on them and the kids can read on those as well.  I have gotten a ton of books for free and my kids love to read.  I love that they LOVE to read and it makes me feel great knowing that I have given them a gift that they will have for the rest of their life.

SusanTheWriter
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Whatever works! My teen and I read paper, read on our Nooks, and read on our phones! She reads fan-fic on her phone, I use mine to read on the Kindle app if I can't get the book on my Nook. We get twitchy if we're more than an arm's length away from a story. *gg*

oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM

what everyone else is saying, use whatever it takes for them to read!! reading is reading no matter how its done!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN