Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Co op Preschool class....?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 8 Replies

I was talking with my  neighbor, who does a lot with the co op, kind of a coordinator.  I am trying to think of ways to make a little money and I mentioned that preschool is my passion.  She said they had a lot of new members that wanted stuff for preschoolers.  So she said first I should find a space, then send out an email or post it on one of the local hs group websites.

But I feel like I just don't know where to start.  She said they seemed to want it to be like a class, not just like a  playgroup.  So I was thinking I could do an hour once a week, with a little circle time (calendar/weather, a song maybe), then a letter activity and a number activity, starting to introduce both.  But what would parents want?  And would they sit there and watch me? lol, that would hard be for me although I've taught before, I haven't had parents really stare at me the whole time.  And how much would I charge for it?

I guess I'm kind of afraid.  But I know it is something I would love to do.  I wonder if I should kind of get into hsing my own for a year first and be thinking about offering a preschool class next year.  I guess I'm kind of just thinking "out loud" and looking for any feedback because I don't know what I'm doing.

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Maybe use an online survey to see what parents are looking for. As far as pricing that can be part of your survey. I pay about $ 15-25 per month depending on the class. Preschool would probably be on the lower end.
swim-mom72
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

If your target audience is homeschoolers, then you need to be offering a service that they cannot easily provide themselves. Otherwise, it is not worth their time or money if it is just "circle" time, which they can do in their own home.

Maybe some sort of structured crafting time with a theme that revolves around a book. Or you could do musical movement r even PE type of class.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

The co op already has a music and movement class.  But I was looking at some things, and I am leaning more toward a book with a craft and maybe a song, and to have a little theme for each week.  I think that is better than just circle time.  And I can include learning letters, but not just have a letter of the week type thing that they could easily do at home.

Quoting swim-mom72:

If your target audience is homeschoolers, then you need to be offering a service that they cannot easily provie themselves. Otherwise, it is not worth their time or money if it is just "circle" time, which they can do in their own home.

Maybe some sort of structured crafting time with a theme that revolves around a book. Or you could do musical movement r even PE type of class.

awesomemommy2
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Theme it as a lesson, story and craft. Science things are always big. Dinosaurs, space, nature, weather. Depending in the number of kids you have it would base the cost monthly. $40-$60 for 4 weeks of each theme. You provide the materials and do the prep work.
oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

maybe teach your own for a year then think about it, during that time you can add friends preschoolers etc, to get a feel for it, and gather ideas etc for doing it with more kids?

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I've taught preschool before, but in a public school and in a daycare, so I think hs would be a little different.

I think I'm worried because most hsers have different ideas and ways of teaching, I would want to please everyone!

Quoting oredeb:

maybe teach your own for a year then think about it, during that time you can add friends preschoolers etc, to get a feel for it, and gather ideas etc for doing it with more kids?

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Thanks :). I like the idea of themes, I think that's the best way to go.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Theme it as a lesson, story and craft. Science things are always big. Dinosaurs, space, nature, weather. Depending in the number of kids you have it would base the cost monthly. $40-$60 for 4 weeks of each theme. You provide the materials and do the prep work.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I have a preschooler and I think a themed class would be a good idea. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)