Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you recommend this?

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommy242012
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I had 3 as a kid Casper, calypso and lucky. I loved the experience will do it again when my kids get older.
kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG, I can't even imagine the looks on their faces after the birds came.

Quoting Bluecalm:

I've done it many times as a classroom teacher and we got Painted Ladies.

When I was teaching 1st grade I had gotten one for each child. Picture this...32 children were standing in the schoolyard singing and doing motions to the butterfly song I taught them. I opened the box to release 32 butterflies, 32 little faces were looking up at the sky in excitement when along came a flock of birds who began to eat the butterflies midflight. Aaaarggghhhhh!

Quoting mommy4lyf:

I was thinking of that too. Have you tried it though? what kind of butterfly do they have? sorry, I ask to much questions lol

Quoting usmom3:

You could get the butterfly garden thing. You are supposed to release the butterflies after they emerge so you wouldn't have to worry about finding them a home.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Planning to just grow them and give it away. Just showing him the life cycle that's it. LOL... we're still waiting for this plant eating insects to grow and my son is getting tired of waiting.

Quoting usmom3:

Only if you are willing to then have a frog for a pet.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I have never have any luck with this kind of stuff.

My kids had an ant farm - My then husband tried pouring the ants we ordered, into the ant farm, but jumped when he realized they had sent red fire ants, spilled them into his lap, got stung, and let them loose in our house. A few made it into the ant farm, but I was so afraid of the fire ants, that I kept it in the garage - they acted odd and died a few days later. 

My kids tried tadpoles. We went to the bet store and bought everything. They died a few weeks later. Never made it into frogs. 

We had hermit crabs and moved just a few weeks later. We left them at their dads house and came back for them... they were dead. He forgot to feed them. 

We had a turtle until I realized the kids were not supposed to touch it - returned it. 

I had chinchillas, they ate holes in my walls, always got snuck out of the cage, chewed on wires, and pooped everywhere - returned them.

Had a dog once. Had JUST bought it at the spca - it got loose when the kids went out one morning for school. Cop showed up, the dog bit someone and their dog, it was going to be put down.

A friend gave us a cat ... turned out that it was pregnant had a huge litter of kittens. We gave it back to the friend. 

I have yet again decided that I am not a pet person!

I have three bettas and a few (water) snails. They die every few months, and I just buy new ones.  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM

The grow a frog kit sends you huge frogs.  I forget what they are but once they are grown you need a 55 gallon tank at the least for them.  I bought the kids frogs instead.  We did the butterfly kit and that was awesome.  We loved it. 

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I will just get the butterfly LOL!

Quoting debramommyof4:

The grow a frog kit sends you huge frogs.  I forget what they are but once they are grown you need a 55 gallon tank at the least for them.  I bought the kids frogs instead.  We did the butterfly kit and that was awesome.  We loved it. 

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

xomrs.chase
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM
My parents have a pond filled with frogs. No kit needed lol
mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I am scared that, that will happen to the frogs too =(  the weather here is not design for frogs or butterflies. We have an indoor plant eating animals or insects. One sprouted already but don't know if it will survive. It needs a lot of sun and lately we're not getting any.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I have never have any luck with this kind of stuff.

My kids had an ant farm - My then husband tried pouring the ants we ordered, into the ant farm, but jumped when he realized they had sent red fire ants, spilled them into his lap, got stung, and let them loose in our house. A few made it into the ant farm, but I was so afraid of the fire ants, that I kept it in the garage - they acted odd and died a few days later. 

My kids tried tadpoles. We went to the bet store and bought everything. They died a few weeks later. Never made it into frogs. 

We had hermit crabs and moved just a few weeks later. We left them at their dads house and came back for them... they were dead. He forgot to feed them. 

We had a turtle until I realized the kids were not supposed to touch it - returned it. 

I had chinchillas, they ate holes in my walls, always got snuck out of the cage, chewed on wires, and pooped everywhere - returned them.

Had a dog once. Had JUST bought it at the spca - it got loose when the kids went out one morning for school. Cop showed up, the dog bit someone and their dog, it was going to be put down.

A friend gave us a cat ... turned out that it was pregnant had a huge litter of kittens. We gave it back to the friend. 

I have yet again decided that I am not a pet person!

I have three bettas and a few (water) snails. They die every few months, and I just buy new ones.  

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

That is terrible. I would cry! poor kids =(

Quoting kmath:

OMG, I can't even imagine the looks on their faces after the birds came.

Quoting Bluecalm:

I've done it many times as a classroom teacher and we got Painted Ladies.

When I was teaching 1st grade I had gotten one for each child. Picture this...32 children were standing in the schoolyard singing and doing motions to the butterfly song I taught them. I opened the box to release 32 butterflies, 32 little faces were looking up at the sky in excitement when along came a flock of birds who began to eat the butterflies midflight. Aaaarggghhhhh!

Quoting mommy4lyf:

I was thinking of that too. Have you tried it though? what kind of butterfly do they have? sorry, I ask to much questions lol

Quoting usmom3:

You could get the butterfly garden thing. You are supposed to release the butterflies after they emerge so you wouldn't have to worry about finding them a home.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Planning to just grow them and give it away. Just showing him the life cycle that's it. LOL... we're still waiting for this plant eating insects to grow and my son is getting tired of waiting.

Quoting usmom3:

Only if you are willing to then have a frog for a pet.

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Your are lucky! if we have one, I will not buy an expensive frog kit =(

Quoting xomrs.chase:

My parents have a pond filled with frogs. No kit needed lol

mhaney03
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I looked at the box in the store, it says the frog is not found in nature.. that gave me the creeps.  freaking GMO frogs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN