Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Further Up & Further In question

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

We are starting back to school on Monday (part time - will start full fledged second week of August when all their day camps end) and we are doing Further Up & Further In - a study of the Chronicles of Narnia books. 

The FU&FI (that sounds bad) manual goes in the order the books take place - starting with The Magician's Nephew. But I have also read elsewhere online that it's better to read the books in the order they were written rather than their chronological order. We are only familiar with The Magician's Nephew and The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe, which as far as the story goes, would be in that order - but I admit, we were familiar with the Lion book and then later read The Magician's Nephew, and it was almost better that way, because reading about Aslan breathing life into this wonderful world we'd come to love in the 2nd book was even better - so my question is -

Would you read them in the order the story takes place, or in the order that Lewis wrote them?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I read them in the order Lewis wrote them in.  I liked it better that way.

101stwife
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Normally I would like to read things in the order of which the story takes place. However, if they were written in a different order then I would read them in the order in which they were written.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I have read them both ways! I have all of them in one volume that has them in chronological order not the order written in. I read them in chronological first, then the way they where written & read them again that way to my children. Every time I have read them I feel as though I am getting something new from the story that I missed the time before.

oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

ive read them both ways, but liked the chronological order the best,

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I am a huge fan of the Tolkien series. But CS Lewis's series never interested me as a kid. I am not normally into sci-fi stuff. I wonder if I would like the series... how is it compared to Tolkien, writing style wise? (sorry to be off topic).  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM

We are going to study them in order of the story.  I have the books all in one book and we are doing lapbooks for them.  I hope you have fun with it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Quoting celticdragon77:

I am a huge fan of the Tolkien series. But CS Lewis's series never interested me as a kid. I am not normally into sci-fi stuff. I wonder if I would like the series... how is it compared to Tolkien, writing style wise? (sorry to be off topic).  

It's not sci-fi, it's Epic Fantasy the same as the Tolkein series, but that is pretty much where the similarities stop.  There is none of the long litany of lineage that Tolkein loves so much, but you do get some back stories in some of the later books with Eustace and Jill.  They are much faster paced IMO than the Ring Trilogy.  I like the writing styles of both authors, but I've heard others who say Tolkein can be "dry."  Lewis just keeps the pace faster for a younger audience. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I am NOT a fan of Tolkien, either his writing or the adaptation of his films. Really, I just cannot stand any of it. I'm not a big fan of fantasy in general though. I do like the Narnia series because of the scriptural and historical tie-ins, and I do think my children might enjoy Tolkien, but since I don't, they can read it later in life. ;)

I do love sci-fi (good sci-fi, that is, so much of it is horrid!) - time travel, apocalypse, etc. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you read 1632 by Eric Flint!  One of the BEST time travel books I have read.  He has a bunch more in that series and they are all excellent!

Quoting hipmomto3:

I am NOT a fan of Tolkien, either his writing or the adaptation of his films. Really, I just cannot stand any of it. I'm not a big fan of fantasy in general though. I do like the Narnia series because of the scriptural and historical tie-ins, and I do think my children might enjoy Tolkien, but since I don't, they can read it later in life. ;)

I do love sci-fi (good sci-fi, that is, so much of it is horrid!) - time travel, apocalypse, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN