Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you ever do lineage research?

Posted by   + Show Post

My aunt is going to present all her lineage research she has done on our family over the past 2 years this summer when we have a big family gathering.

I have seen those ads and commercials for that ancestry site and such, but never really paid it much attention. I know our history back to my great great grandparents, but I think it is pretty neat to learn about everything else she has unearthed.

Do you/have you or anyone you know done any lineage research on your family?

Where you surprised by what you learned?

What was your experience with it?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
luvemboth
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I personally haven't done research, but have been passed down all sorts of info on 1 side of the family going back about a dozen generations. I want to look into the other side of the family and dh's family (since almost nothing is known on his, and that just baffles me).

How do you know that the info on the online sites is actuate? Who puts that info together?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

the family seach is a mormon site i use, i got a few things from there, and they confirmed some stuff,  im going back to the 1500s on one side!

this is the first site i used when i first started it sure helped me a lot

Quoting hipmomto3:

I'm Mormon, so yeah... we're kind of big into genealogy. :)

Anyone can go and use the Family  History Centers inside many Mormon church buildings. You can find the phone # in the phone book or online to find out their hours. They have trained volunteers there to assist you and have access to tons and tons of records. I went in once with a few names and dates and was able to come out an hour later with over 100 names, dates, and information of my ancestors.

Personally, I have done a fair bit of it. I have done one line back to an ancestor who came from England between 1780 and 1790 - he was recorded in London in 1780 and was in Virginia in the 1790 US census (first one done here). Not sure when he came exactly but he married a woman who also listed England as her birthplace. On another line, I have gotten back 200 years. 

oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont know how the sites know this info, but it coincides with  the bits and pieces the family has passed down  and collected so thats how i know if its  right

Quoting luvemboth:

I personally haven't done research, but have been passed down all sorts of info on 1 side of the family going back about a dozen generations. I want to look into the other side of the family and dh's family (since almost nothing is known on his, and that just baffles me).

How do you know that the info on the online sites is actuate? Who puts that info together?

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I know my in laws and my moms. I need to do my dads.
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM
I'm a major genealogy nerd. I have used Ancestry for research and even did the DNA test. I have over 5 full generations and have been able to trace some branches back into the 1300s. The black side of the family is hard due to slavery.

I would recommend the site. I have been able to connect with cousins who have taught me so much about the family. My family roots are strictly Louisiana (hence my name).
luvemboth
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Are there any free sites similar to ancestry.com?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I've done some. One line in my Father's side goes back 10 generations, and one in my Mother's goes back 12 generations.

The most interesting things we've found? Well, one of my Great-Great-Grandfather's had a family back East that he left when he decided to move West. He then had a second family. He never divorced his first wife. LOL

My DH has a Great-Great-Grandfather who was tried as a bigamist, not once but twice, because he failed to divorce one wife before he married another, and he didn't move far away so it was discovered quickly. He also was in court for building a fence across a private road, not paying a hired man, and not being paid for work he had done. LOL

DH always thought his father's family was Scottish, but it appears that they were Irish.

It's been interesting, and frustrating a well. I'm stalled in a few lines because I can't find any records past one ancestor, or I've gone back to the first one to come to the US, but can't afford the overseas subscription to dig any farther. Maybe when I have more than one line to that point I will.

mhaney03
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I have been on ancestry since 2009, I have found a lot of wonderful things there, like draft cards for great grandfathers with their signatures... handwritten letters by my ancestors during the civil war.. just fantastic stuff.

elizabooks
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM
been trying to piece together things for years. traced my dad's side to when his great grandfather & 4 great uncles arrived in a boat from Norway (they were Sicillian this was 1880) we were at Ellis Island for vacation when i was 14 and saw a picture of them in the display. my brother looked exactly like them. I have managed to trace those uncles to current times, but no one knows where they were from or why they all stopped talking to each other once they got to the US.
found a great aunt (died 1970) on my mothers side who was more of a fourth cousin who walked across Europe from Armenia to get here only to be returned to England since no one was aware she was even alive & she had the flu. EIGHT YEARS later she snuck into the US via Canada, & claimed citizenship 22 years later. Saw the paperwork from her first arrival stating she was given political asylum. She was 42 when she got her citizenship. All of her family perished in the Armenian Holocaust.
on my mothers side i can trace her maternal line to her grandmother who was disowned when she married & was apparently shunned by her siblings her entire life. (only have the name Telia to go on) on my moms fathers side I've gone back until 1740s.
my lack of language skill has prevented me from going further.
but i dude find a guy who crossed the Atlantic 33 times listed as a passenger. . each trip no more than 2 moths apart.
oredeb
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

the familysearch that i mentioned above is free

Quoting luvemboth:

Are there any free sites similar to ancestry.com?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)