Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mobile Photo

Ummm my kids were bored and my oldest asked if he could start math (he knew what the plan was for math), and then my younger wanted to do math too. Since its online they had to take turns, so ds did math and typing while dd did spelling, then dd did math. They had fun, it didn't last as long as "school" will, but I was happy they wanted to do something besides video games. I also did a little eval of dd and I am pretty sure she has dyslexia, which ive been suspecting for a while. So I have to learn some good ways to teach her.

I'm happy they had fun and learned some stuff too today :)
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Replies (11-18):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Do you school year round?

Our neighbor does and her dd hates it, so she is getting ahead this summer so that she can take next summer off if she chooses to. I don't intend to do it year round, but I think there will be some things we do in the summer that can count for hsing, we don't have to show anything, but I am sure basically everything we do will be educational in some way.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

We started this past Monday. We're doing testing this week. Yay. He has off tomorrow of course, but finishes it all up on Friday. Next Monday we're onto work for the new year.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I thought my kids would need some time to deschool, but if they want to do some structured learning, I won't say no!

Quoting RheaF:

We started our new year on Tuesday. So far the kids LOVE it!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I always seem to find some sort of learning opportunity in just about everything....so yes, we schooled year around with everyday experiences as our guide. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I thought my kids would need some time to deschool, but if they want to do some structured learning, I won't say no!

Quoting RheaF:

RheaF
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Yeah, our year ended in May, we took 7 weeks off(our long summer break). We will take one more week off in August( kids have camp), then breaks through out the year. It works do much better for us. We don't get burnt out during school time, and our breaks are not long enough to get bored.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting RheaF:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM
I like the idea of ending in may! And 7 weeks off is a good amount. If my kids keep wanting to do school, then I think we will just do it and end early. I don't think I'm prepared to start, but I can wing it lol. I think today we will have a good talk about what today means, that's a history lesson even though we are supposed to be starting with ancient history.

Dd has camp for the next 3 weeks, and she's the one that needs more work...so I guess we will have to wait. There is no way she can do school after camp all day. But the first week in August DS is doing his fist HS class, so maybe we will really start then :)

Quoting RheaF:

Yeah, our year ended in May, we took 7 weeks off(our long summer break). We will take one more week off in August( kids have camp), then breaks through out the year. It works do much better for us. We don't get burnt out during school time, and our breaks are not long enough to get bored.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting RheaF:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Yay! We start back July 15th. The kids have workbooks they work in over our breaks as they choose but we have been off a month so as soon as my school room is unpacked we will start back. Though the girls charters don't star back till the middle of August.
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Our neighbor does and her dd hates it, so she is getting ahead this summer so that she can take next summer off if she chooses to. I don't intend to do it year round, but I think there will be some things we do in the summer that can count for hsing, we don't have to show anything, but I am sure basically everything we do will be educational in some way.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

We started this past Monday. We're doing testing this week. Yay. He has off tomorrow of course, but finishes it all up on Friday. Next Monday we're onto work for the new year.

Uh, kind of, but not quite. We usually end at the end of May, take off all of June and the first week of July, and then take a long break usually from Thanksgiving to New Year's. We took a massive two-week trip to VA and DC in May to see all the museums and historical places though and that pushed us back this year and we didn't finish till a week into June - and still hadn't done the testing.

DH has business in Vegas in August, and we are going with him, so we'll be taking a two-week break then (we'll only be there like 5 days though, the rest of the break will be spent at home.) So yeah, we started a week earlier this year, but will have breaks along the way, and do take a summer - although shorter than most- break.

chlippr77
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

We officially started school on Monday.  Seems to be going fairly smoothly (knock on wood) so far.  And it's made my "summer" much less stressful, the kiddos have something to do during the day and they aren't driving me bananas because they're bored ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)