Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ugh MIL

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

I went to church last night for bible study and prayer time. My MIL and FIL go to the same church. She does not agree with ME homeschooling she thinks all the kids (I have 5) should be put in the ps.  anyway back to my story.   There was a visitor there last night who used to HS and her DIL used to hs in my state. This lady was asking how the laws are for HSing. I said "good one of the best" My MIL said "well good and bad"    This lady then mentions she has a dil who hsed in my state and she was worried about hrs. I said "she did not need to be." lady said I think she over worrying"    I said "All you have to do is keep track of hrs." To which my MIL rolled her eyes.    

Why does she do that in church in front of a stranger?  Should I be upset? would this bother anyone else?

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Honestly, I've got a pretty thick skin, so it probably wouldn't bother me. It only makes her look rude and ignorant to be that petty in front of strangers.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh! I feel you. It is like they want everyone to know they don't agree in case you fail or something. 8( I'm sorry.
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel for you, I don't know how I would have reacted in your place but I can imagine it going very badly if I was PMSing at the time.
oredeb
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

wouldnt bother me, i'd ignore her, its her problem! she doenst look very good rolling her eyes at that age!

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yes. It would bother me. I'd avoid the subject around her. I might also consider changing churches.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

"Pass the bean dip"

Every time. Every time she makes a comment, state "pass the bean dip" and smile sweetly. She'll get the drift eventually.

Or you could whisper, loudly, and while looking at your MIL with pity, to the other woman - "she prefers PUBLIC school"... then cluck your tongue and continue to look at MIL pointedly (and with the utmost sympathy).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I will just ignore her.
celticdragon77
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!

If the topic is really NOT up for debate, then ignore it or change the subject. Be firm but polite, and remind her in private that the topic is NOT up for debate and there is no reason for divisions to strain the relationship.

The problem really starts when we engage in even the smallest form, it opens the doors, and sends the signal that the issue is indeed open for debate. 

Personally, I engage with NO ONE the debate of homeschooling - or most of other choices I make for myself and my family. It is my right and my freedom. End of discussion!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

"Pass the bean dip"

“Our lives are important — at least to us — and as we see, so we learn… Our destiny is in the stars, so let’s go and search for it.” – First Doctor Who William Hartnell

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I would just ignore it.  She is the one who looks immature, not you.  I know it is hard to shrug off criticism from family, but ignoring her is your best bet. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Quoting celticdragon77:

I agree !!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)