Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you let your kids get bored?

Posted by   + Show Post

I love letting my kids get bored. I think it's when they become the most creative. LOL The trick is to keep them from fighting while they get bored enough to 'go do something'. 8)

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is pretty good at keeping himself busy. When there is no school work, he spent his time drawing, doing puzzles, play with his action figures, computer, video games and etc.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. So many times I see people asking how to keep their kids busy and keep them from getting bored. That, to me, is wrong. Kids need downtime. Boredom is a gift. How will they ever learn to entertain themselves if we are always "Keeping them busy?"

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I think there are two school of thoughts that go along with keeping them busy.

1. Idle hands are the Devil's plaything

2. Some people, like my BFF, think that keeping kids in enrichment activities most of the time helps them grow to be both social and competive. Also, that it keeps their brains on point.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I agree. So many times I see people asking how to keep their kids busy and keep them from getting bored. That, to me, is wrong. Kids need downtime. Boredom is a gift. How will they ever learn to entertain themselves if we are always "Keeping them busy?"

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! Yes! Yes! lol
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Yes. There are these schools of thoughts but I don't subscribe to them. I'm not that controlling and I have trust in my kids.

Quoting mem82:

I think there are two school of thoughts that go along with keeping them busy.

1. Idle hands are the Devil's plaything

2. Some people, like my BFF, think that keeping kids in enrichment activities most of the time helps them grow to be both social and competive. Also, that it keeps their brains on point.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I think I saw this on pinterest:

B: be creative

O: outside play

R: read a book

E: excercise

D: do something helpful

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Boredom is the precursor to creativity!

So yes I do!

PEEK05
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM

LOL yes

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Yes and I'm amazed at what they can do when bored!!

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I tell my kids... "Only boring people get bored" and they soon enough find something to do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)