Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you let your kids get bored?

Posted by   + Show Post

I love letting my kids get bored. I think it's when they become the most creative. LOL The trick is to keep them from fighting while they get bored enough to 'go do something'. 8)

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Replies (21-30):
oahoah
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM

LOL! All the time :) they will then rediscover all the awesome stuff they have and great selection of board games & usually play together!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Ouch, that was a little harsh, implying those who do subscribe to these thoughts are controlling &/or don't trust their kids? I don't personally subscribe to the 'plan every minute' camp, but I know some who do, and their kids are still intelligent outgoing children. Some children do thrive in a structured environment. I just get weary of the judgement that homeschoolers get from other homeschoolers just for choosing a different method. 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Yes. There are these schools of thoughts but I don't subscribe to them. I'm not that controlling and I have trust in my kids.

Quoting mem82:

I think there are two school of thoughts that go along with keeping them busy.

1. Idle hands are the Devil's plaything

2. Some people, like my BFF, think that keeping kids in enrichment activities most of the time helps them grow to be both social and competive. Also, that it keeps their brains on point.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I agree. So many times I see people asking how to keep their kids busy and keep them from getting bored. That, to me, is wrong. Kids need downtime. Boredom is a gift. How will they ever learn to entertain themselves if we are always "Keeping them busy?"

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Not to ruffle your feathers, but outgoing doesn't equal intelligent, nor does it equal good.  Outgoing is a personality trait that is acceptable in our society whereas shy and introverted is unacceptable.  That's a shame, because my intelligent, yet shy/socially awkward children are still beneficial, they just take a bit to get to know.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Ouch, that was a little harsh, implying those who do subscribe to these thoughts are controlling &/or don't trust their kids? I don't personally subscribe to the 'plan every minute' camp, but I know some who do, and their kids are still intelligent outgoing children. Some children do thrive in a structured environment. I just get weary of the judgement that homeschoolers get from other homeschoolers just for choosing a different method. 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Yes. There are these schools of thoughts but I don't subscribe to them. I'm not that controlling and I have trust in my kids.

Quoting mem82:

2. Some people, like my BFF, think that keeping kids in enrichment activities most of the time helps them grow to be both social and competive. Also, that it keeps their brains on point.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I agree. So many times I see people asking how to keep their kids busy and keep them from getting bored. That, to me, is wrong. Kids need downtime. Boredom is a gift. How will they ever learn to entertain themselves if we are always "Keeping them busy?"

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Sorry you found that harsh. I didn't mean it to be. I do think people who keep their kids busy every minute are controlling and I'm against that 100%. Everyone raises their kids differently so each to their own and all that.

I think my dislike of control and constantly being busy comes from people trying to control me in my childhood. I just have a reflexive negative feeling about it.

However, you are correct in saying some kids thrive from structure. One of my kids is ADHD and she did. We always had structure but within that a lot of freedom as well. For her, she could have used more structure. She loved schedules and rubrics and such. But she got me as a parent so she got to be bored. Finding out what to do with yourself and your own thoughts is invaluable, IMO. She may have chaffed at times but she learned some valuable lessons too.

The year she unschooled she really hated it. But she now says that year prepared her better for college than anything else we did.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I HATE the word bored!  It's like fingers down a chalkboard to me.  So the kids know better than to say it.  IF they say they are bored I have some really tedious chores that can fill that space.  I rarely get to use them anymore.  The kids just go find things to do.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Sounds like my house! My 4 are roughly the same ages.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I do sometimes bit I can't let all of them get bored at once because they will burn the house to the ground. I am only exaggerating by a little. My oldest who is 7 makes huge messes. My 6 year old takes things apart to see how they work. My 3 and 4 year olds scream and cry, but I am working on that. Oh and my 4 year old rips pages out of books.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Yes all the time. But the fighting drives me nuts when they are bored.
Aleshad01
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Yes!
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this

By 'outgoing' in this case, I'm referring to a child that doesn't require parental direction, one who is an independant thinker. As the pp had implied the parents must be the control.  Not debating friendly vs shy, my eldest is on the autism spectrum, so I have no problem w/ one being shy/socially different. As your reply points out, the same sentiment as mine, that just because one is different, or doing things a different way, they should not be treated as if they are doing something wrong. I've just noticed this trend, more and more over the last few years, among the HS community - that there are more clear divides between they 'types' of learners/teachers/curriculum/religious/political/etc than there used to be. I just think we'd be a more balanced community (and way more welcoming) if we embraced our differing styles, rather than put down those not like ourselves. 

Quoting hwblyf:

Not to ruffle your feathers, but outgoing doesn't equal intelligent, nor does it equal good.  Outgoing is a personality trait that is acceptable in our society whereas shy and introverted is unacceptable.  That's a shame, because my intelligent, yet shy/socially awkward children are still beneficial, they just take a bit to get to know.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

arwalters
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:24 AM

yes, it encourages independent play

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN