Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm making place value manipulatives for Cole and...

Posted by   + Show Post

Nikki is *helping* First, she stole my box of markers. Now, a little chubby hand keeps reaching up and stealing my index cards. LOL She keeps cooing to herself in pleasure as she colors them. I can't find the heart to make her stop stealing my stuff. I'm a sucker.

So have you made anything for homeschooling, lately?

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm trying to get the old conker worker but I'm moving pretty slow myself. 8(

Quoting kirbymom:

I second that!!! My brain is in fudge land and I just can't get out! lol

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Ooh..can you take a picture of what you're doing? And what Nikki is doing if you want too ;). I need some ideas for manipulatives for my youngest, she is 10 but we need to take a few steps back in math and relearn some things she didn't quite grasp in ps.

I haven't made anything lately, but I need to get on it. I have a lot of work to do!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is an idea I will be making soon for my creative math class.  I plan on writing numbers on some ping pong balls and having the kids draws ball for their cater pillars.  My sons love hands on activities as well.  http://mrsgriffinscoolclass.blogspot.com/2011/12/our-place-value-caterpillars.html

I love getting creative and making things to learn a new or old concept.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM

AWWWWWW that's so cute. I (sorta?) miss those little grabby hands...;)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

WAY back in grad school, as I was getting my teaching license, we used a book, "Words Their Way."  TONS of games to teach spelling, word lists that group words by how they're spelled so kids can see patterns.  I checked on Amazon and it's over $40, even used.  :(  I really do recommend it, though, if that's in your budget.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I think my daughter is like that too. I would love any ideas you have! I want to make some letter tiles for spelling and whatever else I think can help her learn and retain information!

Quoting mem82:

Sure. My son is a hands on learner so he needs to learn everything with his hands. Urgh! LOL

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Ooh..can you take a picture of what you're doing? And what Nikki is doing if you want too ;). I need some ideas for manipulatives for my youngest, she is 10 but we need to take a few steps back in math and relearn some things she didn't quite grasp in ps.

I haven't made anything lately, but I need to get on it. I have a lot of work to do!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

They're adorable until you reeeeaaaallllyyyy need to get something done and can't. LOL

Quoting KickButtMama:

AWWWWWW that's so cute. I (sorta?) miss those little grabby hands...;)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I will see if it is in the library. If it is still going for that much, it must really be a good book! lol

Quoting hwblyf:

WAY back in grad school, as I was getting my teaching license, we used a book, "Words Their Way."  TONS of games to teach spelling, word lists that group words by how they're spelled so kids can see patterns.  I checked on Amazon and it's over $40, even used.  :(  I really do recommend it, though, if that's in your budget.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I think my daughter is like that too. I would love any ideas you have! I want to make some letter tiles for spelling and whatever else I think can help her learn and retain information!

Quoting mem82:

Sure. My son is a hands on learner so he needs to learn everything with his hands. Urgh! LOL

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

So while I was on Amazon looking for stuff for my second son, I found the antique copy I got in grad school:

http://www.amazon.com/Words-Their-Way-Vocabulary-Instruction/dp/013021339X/ref=pd_sim_b_8

That one you can get on the cheap.

Quoting mem82:

I will see if it is in the library. If it is still going for that much, it must really be a good book! lol

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM
My library seems to have all kinds of these books, with the same title but for different spelling topics. I don't know where to start, lol. Did you read a lot of them or one in specific?

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

The one I have is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Words-Their-Way-Vocabulary-Instruction/dp/013021339X/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1373150134&sr=8-10&keywords=words+their+way

Looking at the others, there seem to be a lot of books with different word study lists, but the one above gives the breakdown in how to study, with lists thrown in as well.  I would imagine those other books are supplements to the one I learned with, to make it easier for teachers to just have age/grade appropriate lists, but I had that with the book I had, too.  Sorry I'm not much help.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

My library seems to have all kinds of these books, with the same title but for different spelling topics. I don't know where to start, lol. Did you read a lot of them or one in specific?

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I'm working on a basic movie but haven't worked on it in a week or two because I got ticked off at the letter colors that won't change. GRR. I need this for Monday and completely forgot about it! Not sure if I'm going to do this now or not but if I have time tonight maybe I'll finish it up and not fight the color anymore. Dumb thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN