Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dictionary Skills. Do You....

Posted by   + Show Post
....Teach dictionary skills ?

If you do, how did you teach these skills?

undefined

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I always have.  My sons have dictionary workbooks that they use.  They love them.  We look words up in them all the time.  I have a dictionary with nice pictures so it makes it more interesting.  Sometimes they look through the dictionary for the fun of it.  Once my son found the word bundlt so we had to make a bundt cake to celebrate his new word.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM

We have practiced with encyclopidia's but not dictionaries I am going to have to figure out a plan for that.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, I just always made them look up any words they didn't know. Sometimes had speed drills too.

Momof697
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

My kids know dictionary skills and phone book skills. they are both taught the same way once the know the alphabet they start putting words in order. I help them for awhile but now most of my kids can look something up by themselves. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I haven't given him a dictionary to use, but we look things up online, which is cool because he then gets to hear the word, which is something he needs desperately.  He's incredibly smart, reads constantly, kinds bypasses interacting with people, so he makes up his own pronunciation of words.  It can be a bit confusing when he first talks to you about it because you have to wrap your brain around his pronunciation.  I do like the idea of teaching the dictionary, I'll have to add that this year.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I'm sure they did a worksheet on it or two.

Quoting kirbymom:

Did you incorporate it into a lesson or did you teach it as a seperate lesson by itself?

Quoting mem82:

I do. I have them use the dictionary. I explain alphabetical order, too.

oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM

they learn the dictionary when younger about 3rd grade we start, i explain  and show how to use it, i have them look up their spelling words, which they write the meaning in their vocab booklets that we make(handwriting practise),

we also play games who can find the word the quickest, and how many words can you find in 1 minute or 2 min.

also i like to make treasure hunts using the dictionary 

heres some games we like http://www.aasd.k12.wi.us/staff/boldtkatherine/ReadingFun3-6/ReadingFun_DictionarySkills.htm

this helps me know what to teach them http://www.ctl.ua.edu/CTLStudyAids/StudySkillsFlyers/VocabularyDevelopment/how2useadictionary.htm

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I love thepersonal dictionary file! That is an awesome idea! I hope you don't mind if I steal this from you and implement it in my own lessons??!!

Quoting lucsch:

Yes. She has 3-5 vocabulary words per week (3rd/4th grade) which she looks up in the dictionary, writes the definition, writes a sentence and draws a picture. Then she files it alphabetically in her personal dictionary file.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Mine try to do the same but I make them use the dictionary. I want therm to have research skills as that will help them know how to go looking for answers when the are older and as they grow older.

Quoting usmom3:

I have shown my children how to use the dictionary but they prefer using the internet to look up words.

mhaney03
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM

It is included in the ELA course we use.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)