Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dictionary Skills. Do You....

Posted by   + Show Post
....Teach dictionary skills ?

If you do, how did you teach these skills?

undefined

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
That is fantastic. Thank you for sharing with me. :) I love to find out w

Quoting debramommyof4:

is going on with other moms. hat
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We do dictionaries and thesauruses (thesauri?)and encyclopedias.  It's one of the things I like about homeschooling.  We get to teach them how to keep learning even when they are on their own.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
For me, teaching them to learn on their own whether young or an adult is what homeschooling is all about.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We do dictionaries and thesauruses (thesauri?)and encyclopedias.  It's one of the things I like about homeschooling.  We get to teach them how to keep learning even when they are on their own.

lucsch
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, it isn't MY idea. It is one of the weekly activities with Heart of Dakota. Last year, we used a index card file (like a recipe file box). This year, I bought some A-Z tabs for a binder and printed out some vocabulary pages I found so she will have more room to write and draw.

Quoting kirbymom:

I love thepersonal dictionary file! That is an awesome idea! I hope you don't mind if I steal this from you and implement it in my own lessons??!!

Quoting lucsch:

Yes. She has 3-5 vocabulary words per week (3rd/4th grade) which she looks up in the dictionary, writes the definition, writes a sentence and draws a picture. Then she files it alphabetically in her personal dictionary file.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Ohhhhhhh yeah. I've been making DS use the dictionary since day 1 I think. (We started homeschooling for first and he could already read by then.)

I don't remember how I taught them actually. DS actually hates it when I send him to the dictionary to look something up, but oh well. LOL.

Momof697
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

We know one family with 2 kids in highschool they did not even know there was such a thing as a phone book. let alone how to use it. They were 17 and 18 yrs old.  

Quoting kirbymom:

That's awesome. Especially for today, as it seems these particular skills are going by the wayside. :(

Quoting Momof697:

My kids know dictionary skills and phone book skills. they are both taught the same way once the know the alphabet they start putting words in order. I help them for awhile but now most of my kids can look something up by themselves. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Yeah, I have 1 or 2 of those myself. lol My response is the same as yours...Oh well. :))

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Ohhhhhhh yeah. I've been making DS use the dictionary since day 1 I think. (We started homeschooling for first and he could already read by then.)

I don't remember how I taught them actually. DS actually hates it when I send him to the dictionary to look something up, but oh well. LOL.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Quoting Momof697:

Holy Moly! That is so sad!
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I don't teach them as a seperate lesson, per se. But if a child uses a word incorrectly, or ask for the spelling of a word, I hand them a dictionary. Thus they develop skills to use one..lol

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I taught all of the kids how to use a dictionary.

As well as a thesaurus, encyclopedias, how to use computers, do outlines, take notes, do research, study skills, how to use the library system, etc. 

I didn't really do any lessons regarding the alphabetical skills of using a dictionary. I did however spend more time teaching them how to use other parts... pronunciation guides, reference tables, word histories, synonyms, grammar usage...

We do a lot of notebooking for all the subjects, and they have key words that need looked up, written down, and put in their notebooks as copywork. The younger kids draw or print out pictures related to the word - on the copywork paper.

I do not make the kids look up a word when reading a story book though. They are free to ask me what a word is so that they can stay engaged in the story.

Quoting kirbymom:

Do you teach now or have you taught before? If before, how did you go about teaching it?

quote name="celticdragon77" id="0"]

YES!

[/quote]

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)