Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Freaking Out

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

I started homeschooling my oldest in January because of a very bad situation at school.  Homeschooling is not something I had really considered in the past, it just happens to be the path for him.  I've been getting the feeling for a bit now that my second son also wants to homeschool.  I've been talking to my husband about this for several weeks.  This is an idea floating around our house.  Last night my son actually told me he wants to homeschool.  Now I'm freaking, have full on panic going on, I'm paralyzed.  I'm not socially gifted, he loves to be around people.  I have no idea where to really start.  I've looked into homeschool groups in our area, and the closest one is a group that, while inclusive, believes things I don't, so I've chosen not to be involved with them.  Other groups are farther away.  We'll do swimming and scouts, but I don't think that's what I'm freaking out about.  I think it's the idea that now I'm going to have 3 at home, and my 2nd is only really "trying" it, he says.  And if I'm going to freak out every time one of my kids wants to homeschool, should I just pull them all out now?  I don't think that's the best situation for everyone, but I don't know.  A lot of it boils down to I DON'T KNOW, and I'm a control FREAK.  But, on the positive, I'll get to use the fees I was going to pay to his school to buy books and such.  I am freaking out!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

You can do this! You've already got one started, now you can ease the other into it. How old is your second?

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

He'll be 9 in September, so entering the 4th grade.

oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

jusst like mem said'you cando this! youve already got one started! hahah, its just like adding another baby when its born, you'll get use to it,

how old are all the children? what grade is the oldest in? does 2nd child go to a private school? if so what curr do they use there?

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 5 kids:  10.5 ds, almost 9 ds, 7.5 dd, 6 ds, 4.5 ds.  Starting in January I had the oldest and youngest at home (youngest has always been at home).  It is reassuring to think about it the same as adding a new baby.  It was always a tough transition, but it got better and better.  My kids started a charter school this year because the way they sell themselves is exactly what we needed/wanted for our oldest, but their interpretation and ours are very different.  I have to be honest and say I don't know a heck of a lot about their curriculum.  They seem all over the place, and on top of it, they switch teachers early, so each teacher has a different philosophy and style.  Which is good when you think about not all students and teachers clicking, but it makes for a scattered relationship with parents.  I also know that my first and second learn very differently.  My first absorbs everything, it's a bit spooky.  My second doesn't seem to speak the same language.  When you tap into how he understands things, his learning is incredible, so this may be the best thing for him.  But I feel the weight of this and just don't wanna be responsible for messing it all up.  So I'm having to remind myself that I don't have to be perfect.  But maybe have a plan.  :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Breath! :) U CAN Do This! You have been teaching your kids since you knew you were pregnant with them all way through til now. Just because a child is in public school does not necessarily mean that parent has stopped teaching things/life to their kids(s).

Also, I have a confession for you. But shhhh, you can't tell anyone else though, but I never have planned out what I was going to do or how I wanted things to be set up or even lay out their schoolwork in advance. I wing it every day(almost) and my kids sort of help me in that respect. They get a bent on a particular interest and I sort of guide them as to where they can get their information but mostly I tell them that I want such and such details and they go and put it together.
And just so you know, I have no rocket science degree or anything of that nature either. :)
Just take your time and go at this slowly. Ask them what kind of ideas they would have if they could layout their own schoolwork schedule and see how they handle that. If you find that that isn't their cup of tea, then just adjust it until it is their cup of tea. You are more capable than you give yourself credit for. Really! :)

Quoting hwblyf:

I have 5 kids:  10.5 ds, almost 9 ds, 7.5 dd, 6 ds, 4.5 ds.  Starting in January I had the oldest and youngest at home (youngest has always been at home).  It is reassuring to think about it the same as adding a new baby.  It was always a tough transition, but it got better and better.  My kids started a charter school this year because the way they sell themselves is exactly what we needed/wanted for our oldest, but their interpretation and ours are very different.  I have to be honest and say I don't know a heck of a lot about their curriculum.  They seem all over the place, and on top of it, they switch teachers early, so each teacher has a different philosophy and style.  Which is good when you think about not all students and teachers clicking, but it makes for a scattered relationship with parents.  I also know that my first and second learn very differently.  My first absorbs everything, it's a bit spooky.  My second doesn't seem to speak the same language.  When you tap into how he understands things, his learning is incredible, so this may be the best thing for him.  But I feel the weight of this and just don't wanna be responsible for messing it all up.  So I'm having to remind myself that I don't have to be perfect.  But maybe have a plan.  :)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)