Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Our Brain An Amazing Organ

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM
  • 2 Replies
This is just an excerpt that I thought would be of interest to you.........

Your Brain – 12 Rules for Surviving and Thriving

Posted on July 5, 2013 by kathy

The brain is an amazing organ – complex, fascinating and indispensable. Yet how many of us ignore our brain health? How do keep our brain healthy? If you are like me, you are busy multi-tasking, managing schedules, maintaining blogs, tweeting, and taking care of everyone’s problems and dirty laundry: note I mean that literally, with three teens, me and hubby, I’ve got tons of laundry.

If we neglect ourselves, we risk a slippery slope downward. I’ve been there, done that, and it was a long climb back up. In his book Brain Rules, author John Medina explores 12 simple principles to help you understand how the brain works, and most importantly, how to keep it working to your advantage. This is no boring textbook, he uses humor, anecdotes, and personal experience to make the material readable and absorbing. As a homeschooler I like what he has to say on maximizing learning and what is one major problem with our public education.

The current system is founded on a series of expectations that certain learning goals should be achieved by a certain age. Yet there is no reason to suspect that the brain pays attention to those expectations. Students of the same age show a great deal of intellectual variability. All else being equal, it has been known for many years that smaller, more intimate schools create better learning environments than megaplex houses of learning. The Brain Rule may help explain why smaller is better.

He has much more to say about enhancing learning, and the phenomenal functions of the brain. He offers practical implementations to help you maximize your brain power. Now you can go check out his website and get a summary of the brain rules, or you can go take a nap…my husband was especially happy to learn the author is a big proponent of the mid-day power nap. I suggest you do both. Me, I’m off for a walk.

Brain rule #1 is exercise boosts brain power.

The book includes a cool DVD that visually summarizes the 12 rules. There may be a few images t

hat may not be exactly appropriate for children, so parents should preview and use the old skip button as needed.

Check out the author’s Brain Rules on the Web. You can download the list. Hopefully you’ve read this far…Rule #4: We don’t pay attention to boring things.

Here is the link to the rest of the article......

http://homeschoolbuzz.com/2013/07/brain-rules-12-rules-for-surviving-and-thriving-at-work-home-and-school/

It is very interesting indeed. :)

What are your thoughts? Do you agree with this author?

undefined

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Our brain is truly amazing.  There is so much that we just don't understand.  We need to make to take care of our brain and exericise it properly.  One thing I don't understand why she is doing her teenagers laundry?  My brain just can not grasp that fact.  

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

How the brain works... training it... and it is on dvd... lol, I think the modern day brain has had enough training visually. Sorry, I just see an ironic humor in this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)