Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching Tolerance --OR-- Not Teaching Toleranc ???

Posted by   + Show Post
I ran across this headline and wondered what your opinion of it is?

Do you agree with this statement or disagree with this statement?

"..banning homescool teaches tolerance? "

Obama Justice Department: Draconian Nazi-era law banning homeschooling promotes ‘tolerance’

Parents who homeschool in Germany face removal of their children, heavy fines, and even jail time.

undefined

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Replies (41-44):
Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I have to prove my children have been vaccinated. Which is a big pain in the butt since I'm not sure I have the newest copy. It's bs of you ask me and should be left between my pedi and me.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I live in one of the most strict states for homeschoolers. I could easily bs my way through it IF I wanted to. It wouldn't do my family any good, but it is possible. 

I will agree with you on the vaccination issue. Years ago, I asked my dr about the safety vaccinations. He was very visibly upset and said that if I didn't vaccinate my children, then he would call cps on me and have the kids removed from my custody over endangering the welfare them and others. I left that doctor soon after. I did vaccinate my kids and have no regrets. But a doctor should be informative, not threatening. I do not know the laws in my state about vaccination, but if they can do that, then I have mixed feelings about it. 

Quoting tuffymama:

Quoting KickButtMama:

If you don't want to HS according to the dictates of arbitrary state law and instead wish to set your own curriculum, hours, days, and so on without being forced to report to a system you find anhorrent and illegal, you might find it a challenge to homeschool in some states. If you choose not to vaccinate your children AND to homeschool them, that might upset your fearmongering, state-conditioned neighbors, who can then make life extremely hard for you and even threaten to have your children forcibly removed from you. Those are great reasons to "endure" a move from one state to another. It is all determined by what an individual decides he or she can TOLERATE.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Our state requires proof of vaccinations, yearly physical, dental, and eye check ups as well. We are allowed to get a religious exempt for vaccinations.

Quoting Mandallyn:

I have to prove my children have been vaccinated. Which is a big pain in the butt since I'm not sure I have the newest copy. It's bs of you ask me and should be left between my pedi and me.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I live in one of the most strict states for homeschoolers. I could easily bs my way through it IF I wanted to. It wouldn't do my family any good, but it is possible. 

I will agree with you on the vaccination issue. Years ago, I asked my dr about the safety vaccinations. He was very visibly upset and said that if I didn't vaccinate my children, then he would call cps on me and have the kids removed from my custody over endangering the welfare them and others. I left that doctor soon after. I did vaccinate my kids and have no regrets. But a doctor should be informative, not threatening. I do not know the laws in my state about vaccination, but if they can do that, then I have mixed feelings about it. 

Quoting tuffymama:

Quoting KickButtMama:

If you don't want to HS according to the dictates of arbitrary state law and instead wish to set your own curriculum, hours, days, and so on without being forced to report to a system you find anhorrent and illegal, you might find it a challenge to homeschool in some states. If you choose not to vaccinate your children AND to homeschool them, that might upset your fearmongering, state-conditioned neighbors, who can then make life extremely hard for you and even threaten to have your children forcibly removed from you. Those are great reasons to "endure" a move from one state to another. It is all determined by what an individual decides he or she can TOLERATE.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Banning  is never the way to teach anything!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Just a bit more history on the subject:

(1) Tony Blair, while speaking in Chicago on 22 April 1999 mentioned that  national  constitutions were also to be targets of the reinventing process. Nowhere is that more true than here in the United States. The U.S. Constitution with its system of checks and balances and the concept of individual rights, enshrined in its Bill of Rights, makes it an impossible document for the supporters of global government to deal with....source:  Tony Blair, " Doctrine Of International Community" to the Economic Club Of Chicago, April 22, 1999

(2)  In Follett’s vision of democracy there would be two classes of people…”those who govern and those that are governed.” (3) She (Follett) felt that government based on individual rights had no place in modern political theory and disliked the system of checks and balances because it prevented power from being concentrated in the hands a small group of people ("the smart people").

The Constitution and our history use to be taught in public schools.  But......Under the old system children were taught, in their history classes, about how people came to America in search of religious freedom and how they fought a revolutionary war to escape tyranny.  They were also taught about the Constitution and its Bill of Rights. This was to come to and end. In order for a two-class society to properly function the lower class would have to forgo more than just a liberal education—they would also have to give up their individual rights. In order to achieve this, the history of the Republic could no longer be taught the way it he had been in the past.  Walter Karp, contributing editor of the Harper’s magazine, commenting on industrial education stated that, “With economic “interdependence” as its subject and a “socialized” worker as its goal the new “democratic” curriculum had little place for history.  For political history, which recounts the diverse deeds of men, there was to be no place at all.

Source:  ” Merrill F. Hartshorn, “The Improvement Of Instructional Materials” Approaches in an Understanding of World Affairs 1954. 25th Yearbook of the National Council For Social Studies-National Education Association, (Menasha, Wisconsin: George Banta Publishing Co. 1954

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)