Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why Is Homeschooling Important ....

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 42 Replies
To You and or Your family? Is this a life choice? or An answer to a problem?

undefined

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm....a bit of both.  I think our lifestyle choices created a problem that homschooling solved and homschooling has created problems that changing our lifestyle has solved.  It's just been an evolution of sorts.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Education is important. Wherever you do it - just do it. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

My kids have never set foot in a school.  In our family it was simpley a choice.  We knew we were either going to choose homeschool or a good private school.  The more I thought about it the more I realized homeschooling was much easier than trying to make sure their educational needs were being met.  I also wanted to see more than just the inside of a classroom for hours every day.  Homeschooling for our family makes so many things much easier.  I didn't know it at the time but my oldest is on the gifted side.   It would have been difficult  for him to get what he needed out of a school situation.  I love being able to tailor their education exactly to their needs and desires.

smalltownmom03
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Our public school is failing the kids. There are kids that graduate high school here unable to read or do basic math. Homeschooling has been a solution to that problem. 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM
3 moms liked this

It began as an answer to a problem for us but became a life choice. We could have moved out of the state or even the country. I planned on it too. But then we became part of the homeschooling community locally and began to love it. We found the beauty in all of it and found that we could make a difference in our kids lives right here.

Homeschooling was a last ditch effort to keep my kid alive. But I didn't realize how dead we all were at the time. In the years I have been doing this we have all grown and expanded and become something beautiful where there was once a shell. I was personally ashamed of who I was, of my disabilities, and hide all of it the best I could which wasn't that great. Now I am a better mother, spouse, friend, daughter, etc because of what I have become.

Why is it important? Because it makes us human.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I absolutely love this. Some of it echo's my own inner feelings and thoughts. Thank you for sharing a little insight into your personal life.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

It began as an answer to a problem for us but became a life choice. We could have moved out of the state or even the country. I planned on it too. But then we became part of the homeschooling community locally and began to love it. We found the beauty in all of it and found that we could make a difference in our kids lives right here.

Homeschooling was a last ditch effort to keep my kid alive. But I didn't realize how dead we all were at the time. In the years I have been doing this we have all grown and expanded and become something beautiful where there was once a shell. I was personally ashamed of who I was, of my disabilities, and hide all of it the best I could which wasn't that great. Now I am a better mother, spouse, friend, daughter, etc because of what I have become.

Why is it important? Because it makes us human.

I agree with the above statement.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Thankfully you have found a solution.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Our public school is failing the kids. There are kids that graduate high school here unable to read or do basic math. Homeschooling has been a solution to that problem. 

xomrs.chase
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Even in a private school my (gifted) sister wasn't challenged enough. Its why we are planning to homeschool.

Quoting jen2150:

My kids have never set foot in a school.  In our family it was simpley a choice.  We knew we were either going to choose homeschool or a good private school.  The more I thought about it the more I realized homeschooling was much easier than trying to make sure their educational needs were being met.  I also wanted to see more than just the inside of a classroom for hours every day.  Homeschooling for our family makes so many things much easier.  I didn't know it at the time but my oldest is on the gifted side.   It would have been difficult  for him to get what he needed out of a school situation.  I love being able to tailor their education exactly to their needs and desires.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Even though our kids have never set foot inside of a ps classroom and we had made the ghoice to homeschool, I'm not sure that it was a lifestyle choice in heart. But, it soonbecame a lifestyle choice when I saw how I COULD teach my children and that she was doingmore than just passing acceptance, if you know what I mean. That they were learning made me determined that this WAS going to be a lifestyle choice and not just a decision that was mde based on "reasons". I soon was enamored of the whole idea of "homeschooling" and not just schooling at home. Because for me, there became a difference between the two.

Quoting jen2150:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
That is such a great perspective on this! It IS indeed...an evolution of sorts.!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Hmmm....a bit of both.  I think our lifestyle choices created a problem that homschooling solved and homschooling has created problems that changing our lifestyle has solved.  It's just been an evolution of sorts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN