Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Read or Not To Read... That is the question.... A Ponderance, if you will.

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM
  • 20 Replies
Reading.....

I know most of us do it in what little spare time we can find but,

why is reading so important? What is it, do you suppose, we get from reading?

Is it spiritual you think? or Do we get something emotional from reading? What is it that keeps most of us coming back for more and why do we want to teach our kids to read?

undefined

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM
4 moms liked this

Reading is a window to a world not of our own experience. It expands our minds and hones our thinking.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM
3 moms liked this
An escape, knowledge, relaxation, confidence
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I read in order to learn about a specific subject or for entertainment. Sometimes I read in order to distract my mind from a difficult issue.

Excellent readers can glean information from various sources and come to their own conclusions. People who cannot read are controlled by whomever is giving them their information.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Reading makes the possibilities limitless.  You can soar through the sky or go to another world, you can go back in history or forward in time, you can become as small as an atom or as large as a universe.  What you do and where you go is totally up to you.  It enriches our imaginations and is a workout for our brains.  It is how people can learn and do their own research instead of just listening to others.  It opens doors to furthering your education and landing a good job.  There are all kinds of reasons to read.  Everyone probably has a different reason.  I read to get away, to live a life outside of my own, to destress.  I teach my son to read so he knows that his future can be whatever he wants it to be.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If I don't find enough time to read, for pleasure, I feel more stressed. I also read for work and to research.

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Reading is a jumping off point for developing your own thoughts/ideas/beliefs.  You read about situations you're not personally involved in and think about how they did it and how you would do it.  You think about WHY you don't like Draco Malfoy and discern the differences between him and Voldemort.  You realize that there are shades of gray, and your mind allows you to see more of the universe in play.  That and it's just tons of fun.  :)

CJsMommy040506
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everyone else! It's an escape and relaxation for me. Yesterday I read a 380 page book all at once and was up way too late.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers." ~Charles Elliot

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM
3 moms liked this

Umm I get sanity? Escapism? It's cheaper than the movies? Lol

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I read because I enjoy it. I read because I like to learn, and I read because it is a way to connect to a more varied human experience. When I read words another person has written from their experience or their imagination, I'm sharing in that journey, in a way. I read because I love language, and I thrill to run my brain over the texture of words. I'm sure there is a quest for escapism in there, too. Who doesn't need an externally quiet break to light the inner fire?

I want my LO to be a reader because reading not only improves reading and language, but makes a smarter, quicker, better person. I have seen it in my oldest. Once ODS started reading for pleasure, he was more focused, his grammar was perfected in a snap, and his thirst for constant learning was quenched day by day. That made for a calmer, more thoughtful, more centered child. All that my boy knows and was taught beyond basic human empathy and intuition either came directly from reading, or the knowledge was sparked by reading. Even all that I have taught him beyond innate horse sense and experience came from the written word at some point. That's HUGE. Books are powerful, and they lend power to the reader.

I found this:
http://www.best-books-for-kids.com/benefits-of-reading.html
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)