Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Yikes, he's a helpless learner

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM
  • 2 Replies
I've started a little schoolwork and every time the work is a little confusing or tedious, my son says with a sweet little smile, "I can't do it. It's too hard." I think that's how he coped in Kindergarten. Any suggestions on how to overcome that and build his confidence? I had him on 1st grade Time4Learning, but have him using the K curriculum right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Just keep at it! It can take a little while. My youngest is a perfectionist, so he hated learning new things (where he might potentially get a wrong answer) we just had to wait for his maturity level to increase a bit. 

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Maybe you can analyze this. I did an art lesson with him yesterday using a book that teaches kids to draw. The first picture was a bird, and when he didn't understand where to place the line, I lightly drew it. He was mad I marked on his paper and it couldn't be erased so he scribbled all over my line. I thought he'd throw out the paper, but he kept right going. He realized I was following steps in the book, so for the next picture he cut out the middleman ( me) and looked at the book and followed the picture directions himself. At first he wouldn't let me tell him anything and since he can't read he was missing those directions. He did eventually start asking a few questions.

What do you think that says about his learning style? With art and when he's doing workbooks he seems very independent, but with the computer program he wanted me to direct him. He acts kind of insulted when I try to help him when he thinks he knows it. But when he is unsure he immediately says it's too hard. There is no in-between.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Just keep at it! It can take a little while. My youngest is a perfectionist, so he hated learning new things (where he might potentially get a wrong answer) we just had to wait for his maturity level to increase a bit. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)