Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So, what does your curriculum line up look like and what grades are you teaching this fall?

Posted by   + Show Post

Down to the wire ladies - well into July!

What does everyone's curricula line up look like and for what grades? I've almost finished ordering (can't believe I forgot science!) and things are rolling in (poor mail man!).

What are you most EXCITED to teach this fall?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Do you have Runkle's yet? I ordered it but it seems like a bit much reading for my dysleixic kiddo.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I'm excited for everything!  After 7 years I'm going back to being a SAHM and can do so much more now.  Ds is 12 and a rising 7th grader.  Here's what his 7th grade curriculum looks like for him:

• Literature:  Lightning Lit 7
  • Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise 7
  • Math:  Saxon Algebra 1/2
  • History:  K12 Human Odyssey 1
  • Geography:  Runkle's World Physical Geography
  • Science:  Apologia General Science
  • Other:  CCD (Confirmation prep), Scouts, Basketball, Online computer programming courses

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Do you have Runkle's yet? I ordered it but it seems like a bit much reading for my dysleixic kiddo.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I'm excited for everything!  After 7 years I'm going back to being a SAHM and can do so much more now.  Ds is 12 and a rising 7th grader.  Here's what his 7th grade curriculum looks like for him:

• Other:  CCD (Confirmation prep), Scouts, Basketball, Online computer programming courses

Not yet, but I still read a lot to ds, or we buddy-read, or he reads out loud.  He then narrates back what he remembers, which is how I know he's understanding and learning.  I plan on making geography very hands-on - I just bought a new globe and everything, lol.   He does fine reading in small chunks.  His dyslexia makes his eyes tired really quickly, but he reads pretty well and has full comprehension - especially when silent reading.  Have you seen these links

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I'm contemplating reselling it or sending it back - I need a subject or two to be independent for her since I'm adding in a kindergartner next year and I have a toddler besides.

I'll check out your link.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Not yet, but I still read a lot to ds, or we buddy-read, or he reads out loud.  He then narrates back what he remembers, which is how I know he's understanding and learning.  I plan on making geography very hands-on - I just bought a new globe and everything, lol.   He does fine reading in small chunks.  His dyslexia makes his eyes tired really quickly, but he reads pretty well and has full comprehension - especially when silent reading.  Have you seen these links

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Oh wow! Saved those! How neat!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

JadeTigr7
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Forgot to add the grades.  I have a 4th, 3rd, K and K4 this year. :)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

We use abeka for language arts/phonics, writing, and math. All about spelling for spelling, and MFW for Bible, science, history, music and art.

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

lucsch
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I have a 5th grader. After three years of American history, I am excited about some world history!

We will use Heart of Dakota Preparing level, with extensions, and with the following additions, supplements or substitutions:

CLE500/600 (Christian Light Education) for math with some Singapore challenging word problems

HOD DITHOR for reading

Apologia Chemistry & Physics with notebooking journal

BFSU for science review

A combination of different writing programs which I will teach (IEW, Four square, etc.)

Van Gogh & Monier for art appreciation (a couple of books with lots of pictures I got for $1 a piece at Goodwill)

Piano and flute lessons (taught by me)

If we have time, we will do 1/3 of  Beautiful Feet's History of Classical Music.

LocoCountryMama
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM
My girls will be in 7th grade. I'm most excited about the keyboard I found at a garage sale. It's a really nice one and works perfectly, I just had to clean it up a bit. Zoey's been asking to learn to play the piano. I'm going to teach them the basics (still shopping around for a good book) and if she's still into it after that I'll sign her up for lessons. Aside from that we're doing ALEKS Algebra 1, Science Explorer Life Science, Prentice Hall grade 8 Lit, and McDougal Littel American History.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

That's a great idea to teach the basics and then go for the lessons.  I was just going to try to find affordable lessons, but I think I can teach the basics (I used to know the basics, I think it would come back to me with a review!) Let me know if you find a good book.

Quoting LocoCountryMama:

My girls will be in 7th grade. I'm most excited about the keyboard I found at a garage sale. It's a really nice one and works perfectly, I just had to clean it up a bit. Zoey's been asking to learn to play the piano. I'm going to teach them the basics (still shopping around for a good book) and if she's still into it after that I'll sign her up for lessons. Aside from that we're doing ALEKS Algebra 1, Science Explorer Life Science, Prentice Hall grade 8 Lit, and McDougal Littel American History.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I have three kids.

1st grader:
Math: Saxon Math 1 (will definitely need to supplement this with something else, she's crazy good at math)
Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting
Spelling: Spelling Workout A
Also - Brain Quest Grade 1 - this book is awesome, includes fun worksheets from a variety of topics and subject areas
Reading - Reading Skills Gr 1, we have some leveled readers to do together, plus I'll be reading literature to all 3  kids (Further Up & Further In, CS Lewis unit studies - and lots of books about US History from Civil War through now)

2nd grader
Math: Saxion Math 2
Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting
Spelling: Spelling Workout B
Also has Brain Quest Grade 2 workbook 
Reading Skills Grade 2 workbook, plus the read-alouds mentioned above for history and CS Lewis, plus readers he chooses from the library each week to read together.

5th grader
Math: Saxon Math 5/4 with Bob Jones DVD set
Social Studies/History/Reading - lots of Sonlight's Core E readers to read on her own (Plus those we'll read all together)
Spelling: Finishing Working Words in Spelling and Spelling Workout D (started both last year)
DH plans to work with her 1 hour/week on graphic design, web design, and typing

They also will have co-op classes - sewing, stage skills, music, PE - and a weekly art class at the YMCA. My husband does PE with them individually one morning a week - either a job, a long walk, or a bike ride. 

We're actually starting back to "homeschool lite" tomorrow. For the next 4 weeks we'll do ONE subject each day (like, Monday-Math, Tuesday-Art History, Wednesday-Writing, etc) plus starting our Further Up/Further In projects. Should only take an hour after breakfast each day, so we're still free to do all those summer fun things like the pool!

Then they'll have a week of art camp at the start of August, and the next week we'll be starting back to fulltime school again.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I have 3 boys.

Pre-K:
Hooked on Phonics Kinder plus some finger-stretching activities, Math U See Primer, Handwriting without tears, and he follows along for science, history, etc.

1st grade:
Hooked on Phonics 2nd grade, Math U See Alpha, McGraw-Hill Science and the Science Discoveries Kit and Jan Van Cleave's Chemistry for every kid and How We Work, Story of the World Book 2, The Can You Find It? books from the Met Art Museum (but mostly we will work on tile work, bead work, crochet, quilting, and cross-stitch this year), Lightning Fast Spanish, And we are focusing on Africa in our Geography lessons because he wants to keep track of Alexander (his camp couselor) when he goes back home. Plus he's learning the Lap harp and the Recorder this year.

3rd grade:
Nearly the same, but phonics is over, Math U See Gamma, and he'll be learning guitar this year.  We add Grammar and Spelling from the Evan-Moor dailies now that phonics is "over."  And he is in a play in our co-op.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)