Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is anyone homeschooling in another country?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
Where are you from/currently at? How is homeschool received there? What are your laws & requirements?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katinahat
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

We're in the US right now, but we're nearly positive that we'll be starting my daughter's formal schooling overseas. My husband is in the military and is due for an overseas tour in about a year, so we'll be going wherever he gets assigned. I'll be stalking this thread to learn what I can!

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM
How do you feel about this upcoming move? Excited, nervous? Good luck!!

Quoting katinahat:

We're in the US right now, but we're nearly positive that we'll be starting my daughter's formal schooling overseas. My husband is in the military and is due for an overseas tour in about a year, so we'll be going wherever he gets assigned. I'll be stalking this thread to learn what I can!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katinahat
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Mostly excited, a little nervous. Nervous that it'll be harder to see family (we're already a couple thousand miles away, but it's cheaper to fly within the country than from outside of it), but excited for everything else. Not sure where we'll go yet, so we'll just have to see! Where are y'all at?

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting katinahat:

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

oredeb
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM

bump!!!

elizabooks
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM
the odds are we will be in the next two years.
katinahat you need to register with the school on the base or with your residential state otherwise they will expect your child to be on the base school or be notified that you will be enrolling them in the local schools(native). if you are in a country without a base you need fo talk with the councilit or embassy or wherever the us rep is located.
i know that if i am in Taiwan i can school, but it has to be done either in the American School (shared pe), the expatriates center or at the American Club. "to make sure the child is receiving the correct hours in an American environment." BUT it can be any hour they are open
so there is flexibility.
Meadowchik
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM

We're in France.  We homeschooled all our school-aged kids the first year here, then we put them in public school.  Now we've had to take our middle-school-aged children out because the school offers no FSL (French as a second language) classes.  In theory, they are supposed to have them but it isn't happened at this village school with this principal.  The three younger kids are doing better, and they have French classes twice a week.

The rules here are basically this:

Homeschool is a family choice, meaning you don't need a reason. 

You have to inform the mayor and the Regional Minister of Education within 8 days of the change, in writing.

You have to submit your child to yearly checks to assure the education ministry that they are learning, and then social checks sometimes.  If they have cause to suspect inadequate progress, after the second round of testing (second year) they can require school attendance.

We tried online course our first year, with lessons supplemented by me, and our neighbor for French lessons.  The neighbor (who is professionally trained to translate French/English/Italian, quickly flaked out so we were left to our own devices, which was tough for me.  That's basically why we chose puiblic school, because it allowed our kids immersion in the French language, something they couldn't get very well at home...even though I speak French, switching the family language is hard but also just one person carrying it on most of the time is not as effective as being surrounded by dozens of French speakers speaking French.

So, we purchased our two oldest some box curriculums from AO Publications.  I like them because the lessons and assignments are all set up in worktext form, 10 magazine sized worktexts a year for each subject.  I can help them with questions and supplement with more topics and resources.  Our daughter works on her French (and German--she learned it in Switzerland) on LiveMocha.com and we'll be signing up our son on that most likely.  We'll also be registering them for extracurriculars next year to increase opportunities to hear and speak French. 

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM

There is a slight chance that we might end up HSing in Mexico. My husband's parents are ill and elderly.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I am in sw Ohio, no plans on moving out of it, but I can dream. :)

Quoting katinahat:

Mostly excited, a little nervous. Nervous that it'll be harder to see family (we're already a couple thousand miles away, but it's cheaper to fly within the country than from outside of it), but excited for everything else. Not sure where we'll go yet, so we'll just have to see! Where are y'all at?

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting katinahat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I think the language difference would be the most difficult thing initially. So, when they go to school, is everyone speaking French and they have a translator?

Quoting Meadowchik:

We're in France.  We homeschooled all our school-aged kids the first year here, then we put them in public school.  Now we've had to take our middle-school-aged children out because the school offers no FSL (French as a second language) classes.  In theory, they are supposed to have them but it isn't happened at this village school with this principal.  The three younger kids are doing better, and they have French classes twice a week.

You have to inform the mayor and the Regional Minister of Education within 8 days of the change, in writing.

You have to submit your child to yearly checks to assure the education ministry that they are learning, and then social checks sometimes.  If they have cause to suspect inadequate progress, after the second round of testing (second year) they can require school attendance.

We tried online course our first year, with lessons supplemented by me, and our neighbor for French lessons.  The neighbor (who is professionally trained to translate French/English/Italian, quickly flaked out so we were left to our own devices, which was tough for me.  That's basically why we chose puiblic school, because it allowed our kids immersion in the French language, something they couldn't get very well at home...even though I speak French, switching the family language is hard but also just one person carrying it on most of the time is not as effective as being surrounded by dozens of French speakers speaking French.

So, we purchased our two oldest some box curriculums from AO Publications.  I like them because the lessons and assignments are all set up in worktext form, 10 magazine sized worktexts a year for each subject.  I can help them with questions and supplement with more topics and resources.  Our daughter works on her French (and German--she learned it in Switzerland) on LiveMocha.com and we'll be signing up our son on that most likely.  We'll also be registering them for extracurriculars next year to increase opportunities to hear and speak French. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 4:50 AM
No translators at school, unless a teacher happens to know a bit of English and feels like translating. It's actually better that way. What is most effective is French immersion combined with Frenxh-as-a-second language classes.

Younger children have it a lo easier learning a new language, especially if that's what their friends speak. Tears can be expected, but after six months kids age 6 or so will be jabbering away and you won't be able to speak qith as good an accent as them!

Quoting Boobah:

I think the language difference would be the most difficult thing initially. So, when they go to school, is everyone speaking French and they have a translator?

Quoting Meadowchik:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN