Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Timberdoodle?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 11 Replies

This is our first year homeschooling. I will have a 7th grader and a kindergartner.  We have chosen Timberdoodle curriculum after lots of looking.  However, I can't find anyone that has heard of it.  Have any of you?  Pros and Cons?  Thanks

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

ive hear of it,  but never used it,

timberdoodle

are you gona use the basic complete or elite? for the 7th grader?

ive used a few of the books they have listed for your seventh grader, looks good to me!! 

do you know what kinda learner your 7th grader is?

and for your kindergartener you dont even need to buy a curr.  just start where he is, see how he learns best hands on, hearing , seeing,

theres plenty of programs online free to teach phonics with, starfall ,  put letters and number on the wall,

reading to him/her daily, type in teaching phonics and lots of stuff will come up.

math- counting objects(rocks, bugs, socks etc), using manipulatives to teach subtraction and addition,

science- studying bugs, the family pet,doing experiments, reading about things, checking out library books

history- your family history, history of the area you live in, etc

handwriting- make up some copybook booklets, buy a handwriting chart and some paper, or just print them out from the computer

teaching songs, verses, lots of play time, making learning fun

2chillins4me
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Thank you for your response. We using the complete. Unfortunately, no I don't know what kind of learner she is. One of the reasons we are changing her learning experience. I know she struggles in Math. Which is one of the reasons we are using Timberdoodle. We liked their math curriculum. Kindergarten, we are using abcmouse.com but he already knows his letters, sounds, numbers, basic addition, etc. Thank you so much for your advice. I'm excited and nervous since this is our first year.

Quoting oredeb:

ive hear of it,  but never used it,

timberdoodle

are you gona use the basic complete or elite? for the 7th grader?

ive used a few of the books they have listed for your seventh grader, looks good to me!! 

do you know what kinda learner your 7th grader is?

and for your kindergartener you dont even need to buy a curr.  just start where he is, see how he learns best hands on, hearing , seeing,

theres plenty of programs online free to teach phonics with, starfall ,  put letters and number on the wall,

reading to him/her daily, type in teaching phonics and lots of stuff will come up.

math- counting objects(rocks, bugs, socks etc), using manipulatives to teach subtraction and addition,

science- studying bugs, the family pet,doing experiments, reading about things, checking out library books

history- your family history, history of the area you live in, etc

handwriting- make up some copybook booklets, buy a handwriting chart and some paper, or just print them out from the computer

teaching songs, verses, lots of play time, making learning fun

lucsch
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I've heard of it--drooled over their catalogs, even used some of the products they sell. It should be fun!

We use a lit-based curriculum, so I just look!

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

We have purchased a complete set from them before. I like Timberdoodle a lot, and recommend them frequently.

Just to be clear though, Timberdoodle is a distribution company. They do not create any product themselves. They compile their grade level sets by using products that were created by other companies such as Teaching Textbooks (math) and Queens Homeschool (language) and Apologia (science).

It is a really nice company to use if you are an ecclectic homeschooler and your kids are more traditional type of learners.

Good luck!

2chillins4me
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Sorry, but what is lit-based?

Quoting lucsch:

I've heard of it--drooled over their catalogs, even used some of the products they sell. It should be fun!

2chillins4me
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Yes, I knew that. I think they say so on their site. Can my child still get a diploma using these materials.

Quoting swim-mom72:

We have purchased a complete set from them before. I like Timberdoodle a lot, and recommend them frequently.

Just to be clear though, Timberdoodle is a distribution company. They do not create any product themselves. They compile their grade level sets by using products that were created by other companies such as Teaching Textbooks (math) and Queens Homeschool (language) and Apologia (science).

It is a really nice company to use if you are an ecclectic homeschooler and your kids are more traditional type of learners.

Good luck!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I've heard of them. They do not really carry anything I use, and nothing Catholic, so I do not use them.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lucsch
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Literature-based curricula uses lots of "living books" rather than textbooks or workbooks for learning. A living book is written by one author who has a strong interest, a passion, in the subject matter and writes in a narrative form. It also uses historical fiction and other genres to increase understanding.

Quoting 2chillins4me:

Sorry, but what is lit-based?

Quoting lucsch:

lucsch
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, in homeschooling, unless you enroll in a school of some sort, you are the one who gives the diploma. Some states have requirements, such as testing and reporting, but they do not give diplomas to homeschooled kids unless they are enrolled in an online public school. The only requirements I have in Indiana for getting my daughter through high school (and granting her a homeschool diploma) is meeting the entrance requirements for college. It is totallly determined by me. We have no reporting, no testing. I do want her to do well on the ACT or SAT, though.

Quoting 2chillins4me:

Yes, I knew that. I think they say so on their site. Can my child still get a diploma using these materials.

Quoting swim-mom72:

Good luck!

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

What lit program do you use?

Quoting lucsch:

"Life sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way."  ~Axl Rose 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)