Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Can one homeschool AND work outside the home?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 16 Replies
My son is 20mo, so I have some time, but I am really leaning on homeschooling him at least through 2nd or 3rd grade. It's either that or private school for us. Our school district is horrible.

Here's my question: I will be working full time (3 12 hour shifts) as an RN. I plan on working weekend nights so my husband can be home while I work. Do you think it is reasonable for me to want to homeschool? I will be SAH during the workweek anyway, so what would the difference be? I think I will just lose a few hours of sleep here and there, but I don't sleep that long anyway.

Has anyone / is anyone homeschooling AND working full time outside the home?
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

oh yes quite possible to homeschool while you work! great your dh will be home to do it!  and it looks like you will be doing most of it if your home during the week, you dont have to do any schooling on the weekends if you dont want to, you can school any day of the week if you want to!

we have several moms on here that work and homeschool, i did it for years.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

There are several moms on here that do it!  (I'm not one of them) Bump!!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

My BFF is a nurse who works the swing shifts as well, she mostly works Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights (w/ Fridays sometimes thrown in) and she homeschools as well. It helps that on days she has training or a class to teach (she teaches AlSclasses) she can bring the boys to my house. Lol but she managed to HS for years while working those hours, so you should be great!oh the only other co session she has is her husband has Mondays off, as she usually needs to sleep that day. 

Momof697
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I know several that work and homeschool.  I only HS and take care of my house and family.

Amberleigh81
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
That's good to hear!

I figured that this could give me some flexibility on when and how we school.

My husband actually works out of town Monday-Friday, and I thought that my son and I could do some traveling when he is a little older. Being able to take school with us and not have to be tied to "traditional" vacation times (when I would likely have to work anyway) would be ideal!

I know I have a ton to learn, but this has given me hope!
lucsch
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Yes, you can! Really the early grades don't take much time at all--think 1 hour per grade per day. Surely you could find time to do that. The hard grades would be the middle elementary as they transition into total independent work for middle school (with your guidance, of course, but you'd have to do some of that even if your child goes to a school). Those middle grades would take 4-5 hours per day, but I still think you could do it and cut down on some of that time by using a combination of workbook curriculum, where the teaching is in the student text, DVDs, or just move around the more teaching intensive subjects on your day off.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Of course!  I've been doing this type of thing for years -- although I now have the option of working from home full time.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

It can absolutely be done. I have never done it myself but I have lots of friends that have done it or are doing it now.

PEEK05
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is do-able.

sdgd21
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I have friends that do. IMO it would be a little easier.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN