Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone study current events with their kids?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 14 Replies

do you study current events with your kids?

how do you go about it?

ideas?

how old do you start?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Yes.  When something strikes our fancy, we dig into it.  This year at our family camp we met a man who lived through the civil wars in Liberia.  My boys are very interested in all of the upheaval in Africa so this year we are going to start in Liberia and kind of "walk around" Africa following Alexander's flight to the different countries. From 1989-2007 he was in Liberia, the Ivory Coast, Sierre Leone, Mali, Senegal, Mauritania, and Guinea-Bissau.  We will start there.  Mine are very young, but they heard us talking about the awful things that happened to Alexander.  I'm not sure how I'll navigate the horrors, but I'm going to wade in and try.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Yes, we usually watch the news together (while I'm chugging coffee) in the mornings, so if something catches our eye, we do some extra research into it. 

Momof697
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I buy the magazine  God's World NEws.  IT is a christian magazine about current events. I let them read an article and then we discuss it as a group. Soo all my kids that can read read it then we talk about it. The ones that can't read yet I will read to them separately and then we discuss as a group.  My kids were 6 and older when we started.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

When I keep up with it, yes.

Usually it has to deal with the military issues, because my husband is in the army, but I'm pretty into politics so my kids get to hear me talk about that a lot too.

I don't really hide many things from my kids.  Every year we watch videos on September 11th.  When the Sandy Hook shootings happened I watched the news coverage on it.  My kids were in and out of the room and we discussed it some.

My kids (doing school) are (almost) 9, 7 1/2 and 5 1/2.  I also have a 3 1/2 years and 4 month old. 

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM

No, I hated doing those in school. But we do watch the news type shows on PBS.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

What is religious news?

Quoting Momof697:

I buy the magazine  God's World NEws.  IT is a christian magazine about current events. I let them read an article and then we discuss it as a group. Soo all my kids that can read read it then we talk about it. The ones that can't read yet I will read to them separately and then we discuss as a group.  My kids were 6 and older when we started.

"Life sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way."  ~Axl Rose 

oredeb
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

wow Gods world is still around! i use to use that years ago! the kids loved it and do they still have the different age group newsletters?

Quoting Momof697:

Momof697
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

It is not religous news it is news from a christian perspective. One article talked about some schools have mandatory yoga time. And how it is not really a good thing because of the spirituality that usually goes with yoga. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

What is religious news?

Quoting Momof697:

Momof697
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Yes they do break it down into age groups still.  My kids are loving it. 

Quoting oredeb:

wow Gods world is still around! i use to use that years ago! the kids loved it and do they still have the different age group newsletters?

Quoting Momof697:

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM

My DH is a news/politics junkie, so the kids catch the current events and ask questions. We don't "study" it, though. It's part of our lives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)