Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My online irritation for today

Posted by   + Show Post

I have liked quite a few homeschool pages on facebook.  I like to get the little inspirational sayings, "hear" what others are doing with their kids, and mine for good ideas.  I usually scan the comments on the posts to see what others think of it, have they maybe tried it and have a suggestion, etc. 

I have noticed lately that the comments on these feeds are often (and getting more often) somebody railing against some strawman homeschooler.  I join these threads to read inspirational sayings and get ideas and I'm getting a little tired of this spam. 

So I'm wondering if this also goes the other way.  Is there some of us homeschoolers out there that deliberately join some public school groups and argue against a strawman public school parent?  What would that look and sound like? 

Here is the strawman homeschooler (and yes they want it to be both ways at the same time):  We are religious fanatics that want total control over our children, never allow the children to interact with other people, and never teach them anything.  We lazily follow some curriculum half-heartedly while never challenging or pushing our children to be great or to even get out of their comfort zone.  We beat and abuse our children and force them to do all of the work in the house.  And we allow them to run wild in the streets at all hours of the day and night so obviously no work whatsoever is being done in the house.

Can you add any parts to the strawman homeschooler?

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Quoting usmom3:

We wear long skirts & have long hair & make our daughters dress that way too.

Well I have long hair and sometimes I wear long skirts, but right now I'm in shorty shorts and a tank top.  :-)

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

We wear long skirts & have long hair & make our daughters dress that way too.

Well I have long hair and sometimes I wear long skirts, but right now I'm in shorty shorts and a tank top.  :-)

I have actually had someone say to me that I don't look like a homeschooling Mom because I where jeans & t-shirts & at the time had short hair.

oredeb
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahah hey some of this sounds like me!!!!

lucsch
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say that whomever created that group should get rid of that member. I can't think of any other stereotypes to add...maybe something about having crawled out of the 1950's.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Quoting lucsch:

I would say that whomever created that group should get rid of that member. I can't think of any other stereotypes to add...maybe something about having crawled out of the 1950's.

I would have kicked him out by now.  It's irritating. 

LOL  yeah, I've been called June Cleaver before.  That's what we called our crockpot...Mrs. Cleaver.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM

We all cook (we all can cook) and do everything homemade from scratch, all natural/organic.

I can't cook.  DH says I have to be more domestic now that I'm home ;)  I wished him luck with that.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I may be the first part, but I'm not afraid of my shadow ;)

Quoting mem82:

We are government conspiracy theorists that are afraid of our own shadows.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We all cook (we all can cook) and do everything homemade from scratch, all natural/organic.

I can't cook.  DH says I have to be more domestic now that I'm home ;)  I wished him luck with that.

That made me LOL!  I said that about cleaning.  I hate to clean and I'm just never going to be that spic and span mom!

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I have never really used Facebook to do anything other than to stay in touch with family across the country, and never thought to explore it really... had no idea there was homeschool stuff on there. Any good? I am always looking for good sources of tips and ideas. 

Not sure why anyone would waste their time joining something they are not a part of, just to criticize what the others were doing. Not much of a life that they got going on - it would seem. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Quoting celticdragon77:

I have never really used Facebook to do anything other than to stay in touch with family across the country, and never thought to explore it really... had no idea there was homeschool stuff on there. Any good? I am always looking for good sources of tips and ideas. 

Not sure why anyone would waste their time joining something they are not a part of, just to criticize what the others were doing. Not much of a life that they got going on - it would seem. 

Life of Fred and Story of the World have groups.  Also Bramble Patch has a page.  I've also liked the Unschool Bus, the Libertarian Homeschooler, and A Journey Through Learning.  Some of them have really great ideas they post.  Some just put up some inspirational quotes that I like.

Yeah, I don't have the time to waste following groups that have nothing to do with me.  It just doesn't make sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN