Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My online irritation for today

Posted by   + Show Post

I have liked quite a few homeschool pages on facebook.  I like to get the little inspirational sayings, "hear" what others are doing with their kids, and mine for good ideas.  I usually scan the comments on the posts to see what others think of it, have they maybe tried it and have a suggestion, etc. 

I have noticed lately that the comments on these feeds are often (and getting more often) somebody railing against some strawman homeschooler.  I join these threads to read inspirational sayings and get ideas and I'm getting a little tired of this spam. 

So I'm wondering if this also goes the other way.  Is there some of us homeschoolers out there that deliberately join some public school groups and argue against a strawman public school parent?  What would that look and sound like? 

Here is the strawman homeschooler (and yes they want it to be both ways at the same time):  We are religious fanatics that want total control over our children, never allow the children to interact with other people, and never teach them anything.  We lazily follow some curriculum half-heartedly while never challenging or pushing our children to be great or to even get out of their comfort zone.  We beat and abuse our children and force them to do all of the work in the house.  And we allow them to run wild in the streets at all hours of the day and night so obviously no work whatsoever is being done in the house.

Can you add any parts to the strawman homeschooler?

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Replies (21-25):
MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I've heard it explained this way.

Homeschooled girls never get out of the house, they have to help their Mom take care of all the other children, cook and clean while Mom sits around all day.

Homeschooled boys have a few chores but, because they are boys, they are then set free to do whatever they want to.

Or they will say that it's either one way or the other. Some never let their kids out except for taking them to their just as controlling church. While others are just plain lazy and let their kids run around all over town because they don't want to have to deal with them.

I, personally, have never known any homeschoolers that would fit either stereotype even slightly. I don't know anyone who knows any of them either. I'm sure that there are some who seem to be that way, somewhere out there. But there are people who send their children to public schools who never let their children have friends over, never let them go to visit their friends, make their daughters do all the house work when they get home from school. There are some who send their kids out to play until bed time. Who don't know where their kids are most of the time. [shrug]

Quoting kmath:

LOL, yeah they can't seem to make up their minds which it is!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Our kids grow up in a bubble and have no social interaction, they are akward and weird, because we isolate them.

YES!!  but then they also cite the other extreme, that we allow them to run wild in the streets all day, so when does any learning take place? 

acrogodess
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I am the terror that flaps in the night. I am the chainsaw that cuts down the trees of public schooling. I am.....DARKWING DUCK!!!

Quoting mem82:

We are government conspiracy theorists that are afraid of our own shadows.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. LOL!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I've noticed around by me associate homeschoolers with homesteaders. It's just assumed that everyone who homeschools has goats, chickens, their own gardens that feeds their whole family, and then sells the extras at farmers markets, or cans everything... I can't tell you how many times some person has come up to me after finding out we homeschool and asks if I know good canning recipes, or if I was selling any eggs. I don't know how to can anything... (would like to learn now that I found an awesome corn salsa recipe lol) And the whole egg thing too me waaaay off guard the first few times...
I guess I can see how a few may have gotten confused if they heard the alpaca story...but it wasn't my alpaca, just a stray I returned lol.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Quoting No_Difference:

I've noticed around by me associate homeschoolers with homesteaders. It's just assumed that everyone who homeschools has goats, chickens, their own gardens that feeds their whole family, and then sells the extras at farmers markets, or cans everything... I can't tell you how many times some person has come up to me after finding out we homeschool and asks if I know good canning recipes, or if I was selling any eggs. I don't know how to can anything... (would like to learn now that I found an awesome corn salsa recipe lol) And the whole egg thing too me waaaay off guard the first few times...
I guess I can see how a few may have gotten confused if they heard the alpaca story...but it wasn't my alpaca, just a stray I returned lol.

That made me LOL.  We do have chickens goats, ducks, a garden and I can like a mad woman.  I had never even thought about any connection between the two though.  I know homesteaders that do not homeschool and homeschoolers that do not homestead. Seems funny to link the 2.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I wouldn't mind having some, but we live on less than a quarter acre lol. Not exactly enough room. We are trying to put in a garden, but we don't want to spend the money in putting one in, if we're going to be moving in the next year... It's a toss up lol. I never would've put the link between the two either had it not been for living where I do!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

That made me LOL.  We do have chickens goats, ducks, a garden and I can like a mad woman.  I had never even thought about any connection between the two though.  I know homesteaders that do not homeschool and homeschoolers that do not homestead. Seems funny to link the 2.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)