Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Best options for teaching 5yr old to read

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 14 Replies
My DS is about to turn 5 and keeps saying he NEEDS to read. Besides reading books to him, what helped your kids learn to read? Any specific books or activities?
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM

You have several phonics options:

"Got money to splurge" options:

Logic of English Foundations

All About Reading

"On a budget" options:

Catholic Heritage Curriculum's "Little Stories for Little Folks"

Phonics Pathways

Of course, you have MANY more options than those, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with. Also, you have Reading Eggs and Starfall as online options (although I'm not sure about using them as more than supplements).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

HippieMomma86
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

For mine, I just started by taking them to the library and picking out level 1 books they wanted. We also went through different books that I could read to them about topics they found interesting. I honestly never taught them anything aside from sounding out words. They are 6 and now read beginner-reader chapter books. I think the key is to find topics they are interested in, which will make it easier for them to keep trying even when they struggle.

They did use Reading Eggs for a while and it really helped my younger one. He wanted to read, but gave up when he struggled over something. Using that website made it fun and he didn't even realize he was learning.

BramblePatch
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Phonics Museum by Veritas Press worked awesome for my daughter :-)
oredeb
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

ruth beechicks' a home start in reading' a little book thats great and doesnt cost much

oredeb
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

how bout starfall?

STVUstudent
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM

with us, it really was reading reading reading... plus flashcards with high frequency words, and storyboards to help them build sentences...

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM

My library used to have a collection of leveled readers.  So before you get to Level 1 (the superhero books, Young Cam Jansen, Commander Toad, etc....), there are letter levels.  I think it's kinda like BOB books, but I've never used BOB books.  They're the books where the text is the same on each page, and pretty much the text is the same except for one word, and the text and the picture correlate.  "I see a bus....I see a tree...I see a flower."  That kind of thing until they're more complicated sentences and the pictures are more complex as well.  They renovated my library last year, and I can never remember to look for those books.  I gotta do that soon because my 4.5 ds needs something like that!

CatFishMom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I have a crazy old phonics program that was mine; my son started it at three and enjoyed it. Other than that, I wrote the phonics sounds on a spiral bound set of index cards, followed by three or four words using that phonics sound. This all helped him get a good jump start, so when I bought our curriculum for next year (started it early) hes been flying right through it. I like Excellence in Writing and their Phonetic Farm, hes picking things up really well with it, he can read the Level 1 books they sell in the stores and he'll be five in August.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM

That is my passion.  I am a home school and college workshop leader, and teach both home educators and future teachers how to teach reading using the whole brain teaching method.

The following sight explains whole brain teaching, and offers a board game that teaches phonics, reading, spelling, comprehension, listening skills, communication skills, blends, and more language arts subjects.  Whole Brain Teaching

Computer and electronic games teach some of the phonic sounds incorrectly making it hard for many children to blend those sounds to from words.  So it is recommended that you, the educator,  personally teach the phonic sounds making sure the child is pronouncing them correctly.  The following web page gives you the correct sounds in video format (not digital). 

Hear Phonic Sounds Free

Many think that a child learns all their phonic sounds, and then learn to read.  But It is  important to introduce the child to reading while learning the phonic sounds.  Once they learn their first  8 sounds they should be able to read their first early reader books (P.S. early readers, Bob Books, or Ring Around the Phonics books).  They learn 6 more, and they read their second book, ext.  This is so that they associate phonics with reading as early as possible.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM

We used Leap Frog Talking Letters Factory....that gave her a good jump start at learning her letters and the sounds they made.  We then used Talking Words Factory showing how letters were grouped together to make words, then on to Story Book Factory showing how several words make a sentence.  She also used PreSchool Prep for sight words.  We also used the phonics program from ABeka.  Please don't compare your child to mine.....my DD started reading at 3.  She was super super advanced.  She is now 5 (barely) and is reading at a late 2nd grade early 3rd grade level.  She reads EVERYTHING she can get her little hands on.  It is so amusing and frustrating b/c we have to keep finding books to challange her.  I know a lot of people don't like to use DVD's for this kind of stuff, but she was enamored by them at 18 mos old.  She was sounding out all letters in a word by 20 mos, but not actually connecting them to make a word.

I know others who have used "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons".  Some have had great success and others it hasn't worked for.  But starting with basic letter recognition and letter sounds is the BEST place to start.

Good luck, and most importantly have fun.  Fun is key to reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN