Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am anxious now..

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have been nothing but excited since we made the decision to homeschool.  But starting yesterday I have started getting anxious and I'm worried.  I have a history of being all gung-ho about things, and not always following through...but never with my kids, anything I have done in their best interest all gung-go, I have followed through.  So I don't think it's that I won't follow through, once I make a commitment to them, I do it whole heartedly.  But there is that little evil part of my brain saying "are you sure you know what you're doing?!"

I know in my heart this is the best decision for both of them.  I also have DHs full support, even his full support to not work (but I won't be allowed to complain about money either :P lol).  He has definitely been encouraging, but in the beginning he reminded me that I don't always follow through, so I feel like he kind of 'planted that seed.'

Yesterday and today I did so much, I got our science curriculum squared away (thanks to a special Angel :) and printed the kids workbooks, I printed their first 15 weeks of their spelling (a free program similar to All About Spelling!), and made letter tiles for DDs spelling.  I added more bulk to what I had planned for math, and I made a math game even!  I reviewed and adjusted our initial goals for the kids for the year and listed our resources.  I found a free grammar program.  And I've been slowly working on our History Lessons.

I don't know if it's just a little panic setting in since I have done so much in a couple days, or what.  Is it normal?  Am I just over thinking everything?  We are planning on starting in a few weeks, just slowly, but maybe I should put it off until September like I originally planned.  I am really having fun planning and seeing it all come together.  I don't know why I am so anxious about it :(

Thanks for letting me vent, any advice or tips are appreciated!!

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is perfectly normal.  I started freaking out a little the other night while trying to plan lessons.  I had a hard time getting a grip on how to schedule everything.  I did better when I started breaking it down into little pieces instead of trying to do it all at once.  I think everyone goes through it at one point.  You will do fine.  The fact that you are excited about putting the lessons together makes me think you will be fine once you get over the initial jitters!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I think we all get a touch of the panics now and then.    The "what ifs," the "I'm screwing ups," and the "I can't do this."  You will do just fine.  Seriously!  Once you have a few weeks under your belt, you'll laugh about it.  Always remember that you can not do much "harm" in a year.  Just relax.  Because at the end of the year, you will realize you did a great job!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM
I'm going into our third year homeschooling and my first year I had the same concerns. I was a non follow through person as well, but I have to say that homeschooling has definitely strengthened my will! Our first year was rocky - I got preggo 2 months into homeschooling and it made me exhausted and sick until February/march. But after I started feeling better, we finished nearly all of our curric in just a few months.
Last year - our second year - we finished in February/march for the entire year! Me! The one who always started but didn't finish :) going into year 3 I definitely feel more confident and have a better grasp on what works for myself and my kids.

Is there a reason you are starting early? I really liked having an official start date in the fall and going gung up. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I just said the same thing to someone today, I can't screw them up that much in just a year, and if I don't try it I will always regret it! I know I'll be fine, I just needed to be reassured!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I think we all get a touch of the panics now and then.    The "what ifs," the "I'm screwing ups," and the "I can't do this."  You will do just fine.  Seriously!  Once you have a few weeks under your belt, you'll laugh about it.  Always remember that you can not do much "harm" in a year.  Just relax.  Because at the end of the year, you will realize you did a great job!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM
We may not start early, but last week the kids were asking to do some school. So I threw something together for them that day. Then we agreed to wait until after DDs camp because she is at camp all day for three weeks. I do like the idea of waiting though, maybe I will just give them some mini assignments to work on when they are bored, but really start in September like we originally planned.

I'm so glad to hear someone else was a non follow through person too! I really have always followed through when it comes to the kids, but I've had plenty of "brilliant" ideas in the past that didn't last very long ;). I hope I get pregnant 2 months in ;) but I don't think my DH is hoping for the same thing, lol.

Quoting Boobah:

I'm going into our third year homeschooling and my first year I had the same concerns. I was a non follow through person as well, but I have to say that homeschooling has definitely strengthened my will! Our first year was rocky - I got preggo 2 months into homeschooling and it made me exhausted and sick until February/march. But after I started feeling better, we finished nearly all of our curric in just a few months.

Last year - our second year - we finished in February/march for the entire year! Me! The one who always started but didn't finish :) going into year 3 I definitely feel more confident and have a better grasp on what works for myself and my kids.

Is there a reason you are starting early? I really liked having an official start date in the fall and going gung up. Lol

lucsch
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Yes, I get that same feeling every summer. This will be our 7th year (my 8th)....LOL

I'm planning and doing, but we aren't schooling. I only calm down when we are actually in the midst of it--doing it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)