Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How to start?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM
  • 11 Replies
Seriously . . . I ordered our books but until they get here I have nothing. I haven't even done my legal stuff because I am so intimidated. I Don't have anything like a lesson plan or any type of plan at all other than "My kids are not stepping foot back in to the public school system. "

I want to cry, I am so lost.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

What state are you in?

Have you learned about deschooling & are you going to do it before starting?

learn your children learning style & your teaching style so that you know what will or wont work for all of you.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

It can seem very scary and overwhelming at first. In a group I inherited here HOMESCHOOLING OUR TEENS TOGETHER HOMESCHOOLING OUR TEENS TOGETHER I started this thread, The How To Start Homeschooling Teens Thread.

Here are my best tips. Most apply even if they aren't teens yet.

1. Look up your state laws. Make sure you are in compliance. I like this site rather than HSLDA

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm

2. Decide what your mutual goals for the future of your student are, high school degree, GED, college and so on.

3. Find out your teen's best learning styles. I'd use POC4U to aide this.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

4. Research ways to do an education along with your teen. I recommend The Teenage Liberation Handbook.

5. Pick out curriculum (if any)  WITH your teen. I do not recommend buying a full curriculum the first year. It tends to lead to frustration and a waste of money.

6. Be flexible, expect change.

7. Locate local groups and resources.

8. Don't forget to make it fun, relax now and then, just enjoy each other.

9. Be sure to keep your student in touch with any friends they really want to spend time with and which you do not feel are a really bad influence.

And finally, relax, relax, relax. The very best thing you can do is de-school. Let your students find what their are passions and pursue them.

I have one that has won a four year academic scholarship and one that has won a renewable athletic scholarship. That's only my student athlete's first college visit and offer. There are more offers to come.

Stressing over making your child learn or doing what the public or private schools are doing or doing enough won't help you or them. I wish someone had told me that when I began and that I could have wrapped my head around it and believed it.

Love them. Like them. Trust them. Support their dreams even when you don't like or understand what they are. This is the best gift you can give anyone. It's also a gift that will allow them to do things that will impress you over the years.

BD

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

hugs

Don't cry! You should celebrate!! Take your kids out for ice cream or to the movies or do something special.....and breath.

What are your state homeschooling laws? That is the first place I started. HSLDA worked for me, but there are other sites. HSLDA also has a list of homeschool groups found in each state. That was my next step, finding others that I could learn from. Then, I went to the library and got my hands on some homeschooling help books.

Don't make the common mistake of thinking there is a "one size fits all" curriculum out there or that there is a such thing as a perfect fit. What we use changes from year to year as my kids change.

Some places to check out: Tomberdoodle, currclick.com, Donna Young's printables, Rainbow Resources and Cathy Duffy Reviews. I could list a whole bunch more, but I dont know if you prefer secular or religious?

You will do fine!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Relax :)
Like the others said, first check your state laws. Then check out a book called "the well trained mind" by Susan wise Bauer. It's a good place to start, even if you stray from the "classical" method. (It will also go over methods, since you have no idea what that means probably. Lol) it will also recommend what topics should be covered in each grade, and give several choices you could look into. Like I said, just some place to start. It is a very well written, easy to read book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Also, what books did you order?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unsuspected
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I'm in California.

No, I have never heard of deschooling so no, I wasn't planning on doing it ... thanks for the drop in the "wtheck am I doing?" Bucket. (I know you're being helpful. )

Quoting usmom3:

What state are you in?

learn your children learning style & your teaching style so that you know what will or wont work for all of you.

unsuspected
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I'm joining the hslda next week. I've connected with a homeschool group in my area, but they are not very active.
I don't know my states laws completely. I have an idea, but I need help.
We are going with a Christian based education.

Quoting swim-mom72:

hugs

Don't cry! You should celebrate!! Take your kids out for ice cream or to the movies or do something special.....and breath.

What are your state homeschooling laws? That is the first place I started. HSLDA worked for me, but there are other sites. HSLDA also has a list of homeschool groups found in each state. That was my next step, finding others that I could learn from. Then, I went to the library and got my hands on some homeschooling help books.

Don't make the common mistake of thinking there is a "one size fits all" curriculum out there or that there is a such thing as a perfect fit. What we use changes from year to year as my kids change.

Some places to check out: Tomberdoodle, currclick.com, Donna Young's printables, Rainbow Resources and Cathy Duffy Reviews. I could list a whole bunch more, but I dont know if you prefer secular or religious?

You will do fine!!

unsuspected
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Math u see Primer for the twins and Delta for my ten year old.

Apologia Astronomy & their writing program for my oldest.

Mystery of History Volume I

Veritas Phonics for the twins

And a simple work book for my 3 year old.

Quoting Boobah:

Also, what books did you order?
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I always encourage parents to deschool themselves & their children before jumping in to homeschooling because homeschooling is different then public school.

I think we have a few Mom's that are in your state that might be able to help you more then I can from Texas.

Quoting unsuspected:

I'm in California.

No, I have never heard of deschooling so no, I wasn't planning on doing it ... thanks for the drop in the "wtheck am I doing?" Bucket. (I know you're being helpful. )

Quoting usmom3:

What state are you in?

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been freaking out, too, big time.  One thing I came across the other day was goals for kiddos (I can't remember the ages, sorry) from the national social studies group.  Those goals/objectives made me feel so much better.  I don't have them right in front of me, but they were something along the lines of recognize cultural diversity, learn about other cultures, etc...  I can do that!  I've been trying to keep up with what our state teaches, but their wording is obscure, so unless you work in the system, you look at it as, "What in the world????"  I was talking to a mom the other day about just giving ourselves permission to relax and not have it all under control.  Easy to say, hard to do some days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)