Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling one and public for another??

Posted by   + Show Post
Does anyone do this? I'm curious cause my son is almost 5 and he is starting kindergarten this year at a public school. He has ADHD and has been a nightmare the past few months I don't even want to attempt to teach him anything lol (his daycare taught him everything he knows now) he's stubborn and fights everything.

But my dd is 18 months and special needs. I'm planning on homeschooling her if things go right. Her dr recommended we get her in school or start homeschooling at 3 cause she's so far behind everyone else her age. She needs to be in a special Ed program. I'm pretty confident in myself to be able to teach her cause she's a lot more patient that my son and even with being developmentally a 7 month old she seems to want to learn unlike my son who says "NOOOO I DONT WANT TOOOOO"

Do u have any in public school and homeschool some? Do u give ur children the option to homeschool or go to public? I'm just curious because my grandmother recently told me it was weird for me to send my ds to school but to homeschool my dd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Replies (11-17):
CJsMommy040506
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I don't currently but I wouldn't have a problem with it. This will be the first year with my second grader and I know my rising kindergartener loves school (she went to a prek last year) I don't want to deal with a PS schedule. If I were to have older children all in PS and needed one out for certain reasons, then yes one could be at home and one stay at school. I would say my son is maybe borderline ADHD and he did not do well in school because he was very distracting to other kids and had a hard time listening.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I have a friend who has two of her children in public school, and her middle child is homeschooled.  There are actually a lot of homeschoolers where they have some homeschooled children, and some public schooled.

I have always given my children the option to public school or homeschool.  They have all asked to stay homeschooled, each for their own reasons.  My youngest daughter, third child, is autistic and dyslexic, she works at her grade level in some areas, and far above her grade level in other areas.  I believe it's due to the one on one I can give her, and the ability to teach the way she best learns that allows her to do so well academically.  We have her and her siblings into a lot of different activities to help her socially, since that's her weakest area, and I feel being able to set her in a safe, controlled and positive social environment has helped a lot.  I fear if she were in public school she would get mediocre, to poor education and may possibly be teased for some of her quirky ways of going about things, or thinking.  Luckily she enjoys being homeschooled and wants to because she likes how we approach each subject and area she needs to learn.

Every child is different, so try different things and see what works best for your child, good luck.

annabelle125
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I homeschool my DD (age 9, grade 4) and my DS (age 12, 7th grade) is public schooled.  He has ADHD and Aspergers.  He LOVES school, the structure is exactly what he needed.  When he was homeschooled, him and I clashed constantly, because I am not very organized  or structured.

He asked to go back in 5th grade, when middle school started here.  I was reluctant, but he actually did a full presentation/oral report for me and DH outlining the pros and cons of homeschool vs public for him.

Anne

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I have 1 in private school and 3 homeschooled. My 7 year old has ADHD, unmedicated, so putting him in school isn't an option. But the other kids can choose. Luckily my 7 year old loves learning so it isn't much of a fight. Just hard to keep his attention for long so lessons are super short and to the point, or I make them as fun as possible. But at 5 I definitely had to back off and couldn't push it. He matures slower then the others so I couldn't expect the same as kids his age, and had to tweak things to fit his needs. Sometimes it's just best to let him learn on his own through play. You can sneak in handwriting when playing sidewalk chalk. My son loves dry erase boards so I bought him one, and many times he'd go practice on his own simply out of curiosity and the desire to write, without me forcing anything. My other kids have formal lessons, but my ADHD childs lessons are much different.
sadiebug1228
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM
U mentioned the dry erase board. And I found something at target earlier that was a dry erase board but it had the lines like paper but the bigger lines like the kindergarten paper if that makes sense. I almost got it. And I might go back he loves drawing on my board so he might enjoy writing on this one. Thanks for the idea :)

Quoting rsrangel:

I have 1 in private school and 3 homeschooled. My 7 year old has ADHD, unmedicated, so putting him in school isn't an option. But the other kids can choose. Luckily my 7 year old loves learning so it isn't much of a fight. Just hard to keep his attention for long so lessons are super short and to the point, or I make them as fun as possible. But at 5 I definitely had to back off and couldn't push it. He matures slower then the others so I couldn't expect the same as kids his age, and had to tweak things to fit his needs. Sometimes it's just best to let him learn on his own through play. You can sneak in handwriting when playing sidewalk chalk. My son loves dry erase boards so I bought him one, and many times he'd go practice on his own simply out of curiosity and the desire to write, without me forcing anything. My other kids have formal lessons, but my ADHD childs lessons are much different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sadiebug1228
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Oh my goodness what a smarty lol i think my son is going to do better in school. We butt heads a lot lol

Quoting annabelle125:

I homeschool my DD (age 9, grade 4) and my DS (age 12, 7th grade) is public schooled.  He has ADHD and Aspergers.  He LOVES school, the structure is exactly what he needed.  When he was homeschooled, him and I clashed constantly, because I am not very organized  or structured.

He asked to go back in 5th grade, when middle school started here.  I was reluctant, but he actually did a full presentation/oral report for me and DH outlining the pros and cons of homeschool vs public for him.

Anne

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I only homeschool my youngest--just finished our 6th year. My eldest went to a Christian school K4-12. My other two graduated from public school just this year and 2 years ago.

So, yes it can work just fine.

No, we did not give our kids options. We decided what was best for them. BTW, I did try homeschooling for one year in between private and public schools for the middle two boys. It did not work out for them. Different time, different kids, different needs for all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)