Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
We will start sonlight this coming up school year, we normally do ambleside online, so we are use to a lot of reading. Any tips or warnings to share for the new year? Is there a good place to buy used?
Thanks
Diana.
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Replies (11-16):
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Girl this time around......so we have 2 and 2.  (6,4,2 and this little one)

Quoting sdgd21:

Haha, I'm dec 3, we usually take off for thanks giving, and if all is well light work for 1/2 of dec. so I might just take dec off for baby, and catch up in the summer.
Boy or girl?

Quoting jwhit8791:

Nov. 6th right smack in the middle of the year.  LOL

Quoting sdgd21:

Lol I understand we are on number five but I am due when we would be on break any way (thank God).

Congrats to you too! When are you due?

Quoting jwhit8791:

No problem........we are expecting also and are starting back next week to get a jump on the school year.  Hoping we can get far enough ahead so that when #4 comes we won't fall behind.

I just wish I could remember what that site was.......I will try to see if I can find it again.

Quoting sdgd21:

thank you :-)

Quoting jwhit8791:

Congrats on your baby on the way!

We use Sonlight and have for the last two years.  I love the IG's because I am not the most organized and need that structure.  I would say to just take a little time to prepare.  I didn't last year for DS Kindy and I felt a little behind all year.  But that was my bad.

I know that I was looking at used books I think I googles used Sonlight and then whatever core you are looking for.  Sorry that I can't remember what website it was on but there are a lot of places out there that sell used for Sonlight.

sdgd21
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Sweet! We are having boy #5. Lol
15,14, 10, 6

Quoting jwhit8791:Girl this time around......so we have 2 and 2.  (6,4,2 and this little one)
Quoting sdgd21:Haha, I'm dec 3, we usually take off for thanks giving, and if all is well light work for 1/2 of dec. so I might just take dec off for baby, and catch up in the summer.
Boy or girl?

Quoting jwhit8791:Nov. 6th right smack in the middle of the year.  LOL
Quoting sdgd21:Lol I understand we are on number five but I am due when we would be on break any way (thank God).
Congrats to you too! When are you due?

Quoting jwhit8791:No problem........we are expecting also and are starting back next week to get a jump on the school year.  Hoping we can get far enough ahead so that when #4 comes we won't fall behind.I just wish I could remember what that site was.......I will try to see if I can find it again.
Quoting sdgd21:thank you :-)Quoting jwhit8791:Congrats on your baby on the way!We use Sonlight and have for the last two years.  I love the IG's because I am not the most organized and need that structure.  I would say to just take a little time to prepare.  I didn't last year for DS Kindy and I felt a little behind all year.  But that was my bad.I know that I was looking at used books I think I googles used Sonlight and then whatever core you are looking for.  Sorry that I can't remember what website it was on but there are a lot of places out there that sell used for Sonlight.

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, five boys!  One busy momma if they are anything like mine.  LOL

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM

We've done Sonlight for a few years. Some years I buy the whole pkg from them directly, some years I pick & choose and just buy the IGs or buy it all used... just depends.

Some things I've learned, that may or may not be of use to you: :)

-The Core Tips CD is really not very useful, so unless you get a used pkg and it comes included, don't fork out the $10 for it. You can find all the same information by googling the names of the books you're using (and for Core D, which we did last year, 75% of the 'tips' were links to the same website's PDFs relating to the Bible curriculum, which we skip anyway).

-Read the reviews of the books on Amazon as well as Sonlight. Also if you buy it a la carte, many times books are cheaper from Amazon than Sonlight (but not always, and some books are ONLY available from Sonlight). I get as many of the books as I can from my public library. I pull up the list of books, then search first if it's available at my library - mark those off - then check prices at Sonlight and Amazon and sometimes, ebay (but that's very hit/miss). Then I add it all up and if it saves me a bunch (like this year with Core E it will) then I do it that way - if the cost is not a big difference then I just buy it all from Sonlight.

The resale value of Sonlight whole packages including IGs is quite high in my experience. I've resold two sets of it (kindergarten and Core D) and gotten about 60% of what I paid for it, so you can always plan on doing that too. Timing is everything - sell it in the spring when people start looking at next year's curriculum. 

Good luck with it! We like it mostly. We've had a few hiccups with it - some books that are NOT for us, surprisingly inappropriate content for a Christian company, that kind of thing, but overall it's a great bunch of books and exposes children to wonderful cultures, history and ideas that they would never be covering at that age in regular school!

sdgd21
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Wow This is great information, thank you. I will look in that. It does sound like if you don't buy the package it's a lot more work to get all the stuff together that correct?

Quoting hipmomto3:

We've done Sonlight for a few years. Some years I buy the whole pkg from them directly, some years I pick & choose and just buy the IGs or buy it all used... just depends.

Some things I've learned, that may or may not be of use to you: :)

-The Core Tips CD is really not very useful, so unless you get a used pkg and it comes included, don't fork out the $10 for it. You can find all the same information by googling the names of the books you're using (and for Core D, which we did last year, 75% of the 'tips' were links to the same website's PDFs relating to the Bible curriculum, which we skip anyway).

-Read the reviews of the books on Amazon as well as Sonlight. Also if you buy it a la carte, many times books are cheaper from Amazon than Sonlight (but not always, and some books are ONLY available from Sonlight). I get as many of the books as I can from my public library. I pull up the list of books, then search first if it's available at my library - mark those off - then check prices at Sonlight and Amazon and sometimes, ebay (but that's very hit/miss). Then I add it all up and if it saves me a bunch (like this year with Core E it will) then I do it that way - if the cost is not a big difference then I just buy it all from Sonlight.

The resale value of Sonlight whole packages including IGs is quite high in my experience. I've resold two sets of it (kindergarten and Core D) and gotten about 60% of what I paid for it, so you can always plan on doing that too. Timing is everything - sell it in the spring when people start looking at next year's curriculum. 

Good luck with it! We like it mostly. We've had a few hiccups with it - some books that are NOT for us, surprisingly inappropriate content for a Christian company, that kind of thing, but overall it's a great bunch of books and exposes children to wonderful cultures, history and ideas that they would never be covering at that age in regular school!

dazguti
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Hi! I also have 5 boys :)  14, 12, 10, 4 1/2, and almost 2.  We just started using Sonlight at the beginning of summer (so we can take it easy throughout the year as things come up, and not worry about getting behind).  I had my eye on Sonlight for such a long time, and used Seton in the past with the older boys.  Very strong program, also (we are Catholic), but Sonlight is so enjoyable and seems to inspire such motiviation for reading quality literature! So far, we looove it.  For my 4 1/2 year old, even including math, etc., it's not really very time consuming, and he's always interested in what we're reading about. Best of luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)