Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i need to do some learning

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM
  • 13 Replies
I need a website or book or something I can go to to re lean how to write a report for a book. Not a high school report by for elementary age. Actually I need a whole refresher course in elementary English. Help?
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM

My suggestions would be (in order of helpfulness):

A Writer's Reference by Hacker
The Elements of Style by Strunk and White
English Fundamentals by Emery
Structuring Paragraphs by Parks

oredeb
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

how bout this

Introduction

Things to include in the introduction:

• The title (underlined) and author of the book.
  • Why you chose the book.
  • What kind of story is it? (adventure? family? fantasy/make believe? animal? true life? scary?)

Body

In this section you want to describe the main parts of a story: theme, plot, setting, and characters. Then you can give your opinions about the book.

The Theme is the main idea of the story. Some examples might be the importance of friendship or how to be courageous in a difficult situation. Tell what you think the theme is and how you know.

The Setting is the time and place of the story. Is it set a long time ago or now. Does it take place in another country or in an imaginary place? How much time passes in the story—a day? a year? a lifetime?

The Plot is what happens. You want to tell what the story is mostly about. What is the main event or conflict? What things lead up to it? What happens as a result? How does the story end? (Sometimes you want to avoid telling the ending, or giving away the secrets of the story.)

Be careful not to re-tell the whole story in detail—you want room in your report to write about other things; instead, just say enough about it so the rest of your report will make sense.

The Characters are who the story is about. The main character is called the protagonist. Who are the other important characters? Do they help or hinder the protagonist?

Once you have summarized the book, you can tell what you think about it. You can write about whatever opinions you have. Some questions you might want to answer are:

• Did you like the story? Why or why not?
  • What was the best part of the book? Why?
  • How did the story make you feel? Did you feel different things at different points in the story?
  • Would you recommend it to friends?
  • Would you read other books by this author?
  • What new things did you learn from this book?

Conclusion

This is just a sentence or two to sum up your report. Give your overall opinion of the book and the most important thing you want other people to know about it.

oredeb
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

another one:

Use a Book Report Outline
After reading the book, you are ready to start the writing process. In writing a book report, or any writing prompt, you’ll find writing easier if you follow the proven steps of the writing process: prewriting, writing, revising, editing, and publishing.

In the first step, prewriting, you’ll plan what you want to say. An outline is a great prewriting tool for book reports. Start your book report outline with the following five ideas. Each idea should correspond to a paragraph:

1. Introduction
2. Summary of Book
3. Book Details: Characters
4. Book Details: Plot
5. Evaluation and Conclusion

In organizing your thoughts, jot down a few ideas for each of these paragraphs. Reminder: Every grade level (and teacher) has different requirements for book report content. Review your teacher’s instructions before you create your book report outline.

Introductory Paragraph
Most book reports begin with the basic information about the book: the book’s title, author, genre, and publication information (publisher, number of pages, and year published). The opening paragraph is also your opportunity to build interest by mentioning any unusual facts or circumstances about the writing of the book or noteworthy credentials of the author. Was the book a bestseller? Is the author a well-known authority on the subject? Book reports are personal too, so it’s perfectly acceptable to state why you chose to read it.

What’s the Book About?
In the body of the book report—paragraphs 2, 3, and 4—you’ll describe what the book is about. This is your chance to show you’ve read and understood the book. Assuming you’ve read a fiction book, here are helpful writing tips:

Summary: Start this paragraph by writing an overview of the story, including its setting, time period, main characters, and plot. Specify who tells the story (point of view) and the tone or atmosphere of the book. Is it a creepy tale of suspense or a lighthearted adventure?

Character Details: In this paragraph, describe the main characters and identify the major conflict or problem the main characters are trying to solve. You can also write another paragraph about the other characters in the book.

Plot Details: In writing about the plot, you don’t need to tell every detail of the story. Instead, focus on the main sequence of events. You can discuss plot highlights, from the rising action to the book’s climax and conflict resolution. Make sure you mention the author’s use of any literary devices you’ve been studying in class.

Book Reports on Non-fiction
If you are writing a book report on a biography or other factual text, you’ll want to devote the body of your book report to a description of the book’s subject and the author’s points of view. Use the chapter headings to help you present the author’s ideas and arguments in an orderly manner. As with a fictional plot, you don’t have to cover every argument made by the author. Instead, choose the main ideas and the ones most interesting to you. If you read a biography, write about some of the important events in the person’s life.

Personal Evaluation and Conclusion
You’ll like writing the final paragraph because it is here that you’ll be able to offer your own critique of the book. What are the book’s strengths and weaknesses? Did the book hold your interest? What did you learn from the book? If you read a work of fiction, how did the book affect you? If you read non-fiction, where you swayed by the author’s arguments? Try to be balanced in your opinions, and support your statements with examples from the book. Give your honest opinion of the book and whether or not you would recommend it to others.

Revising, Editing, and Publishing
After you’ve drafted your book report, you’re ready to follow the next three steps of the writing process: revising, editing, and publishing. Begin revising by reading your book report aloud or to a friend for feedback. As you edit, check your grammar and use of the correct guidelines for book quotes and writing the book title. Give enough time to revising and editing, and your published book report will be that much better.

Book Reports: A Type of Expository Essay
A book report is usually written as an expository essay, although it can be written in other forms. In some cases, a teacher will ask students to take a point of view in writing a book report. For instance: “Explain why Hoot by Carl Hiiassen is the best American kid’s novel of the last decade. Please use examples.” This type of writing prompt requires a persuasive style of writing. Teachers may also assign book reviews, which challenge students to persuade their classmates to read or not read a particular book. If writing a book review, don’t reveal the ending!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

The Purdue Owl website gives good tips on the elements of a book report.

The basics are: Title, author, genre (fiction/non-fic, historical, mystery, etc), setting, characters, theme (what was the main idea of the story), plot (what happened), impressions (what did you like/dislike).

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Free websites

Grammar:

http://www.grammar-monster.com/index.html

http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html

book report printables:

http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/printables/reading.html

I have these specifically on book reports:

(I found all of these for $3-5 at my used homeschool store).

How To Report On Books

Better Than Book Reports

Besides our main English curriculum and some grammar specific resources (look near dictionary section of bookstore), this is what we use in the way of "workbooks": 

Flip Books For Grammar

Grammar Manipulatives Kids Love

I love these two books (linked below). They are for research reports, but VERY effective skills and handy for book reports.

The Best Research Reports Ever (this is my fave!) 

Easy Steps To Writing Fantastic Research Reports

For basic grammar fun, I picked up some madlibs

Paragraph Writing Workbooks:

Evan Moor Paragraph Writing

Paragraph Writing Made Easy

Literary Workbook:

Teaching Literary Elements I found some neat ideas in here that I even plan to use in other subjects. Like the snapshot history timeline and the history brochure.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

As an aside, I would not require many book reports from your students. If they have to write one for each book the read, for instance, this can kill a love of reading for some.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

As an aside, I would not require many book reports from your students. If they have to write one for each book the read, for instance, this can kill a love of reading for some.

I agree with this! If you want to know what they think about the book & know that they read/comprehended it sit down with them over a snack & discuss it with them just like you would do with a friend over a book the both of you have read. I find that you get better answers that way over a book report. If you are wanting them to write to improve writing or typing skills have them write or e-mail family & friends that they would like to stay in contact with.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I did a lot of book discussions, but very few actual reports. We're in a short story unit right now (high school) and I'm asking her to do an analysis form that's less "prosy" than a report.

I'm trying to save the writing for essays and major papers because she's seriously writing-phobic.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Oops.  I misunderstood, my suggestions are more for college and nothing to do with book reports.  I apologize.  Disregard my suggestions.

twilightmom6545
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM
I don't plan on every book. I was thinking about one or two a semester

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)