Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I need a website or book or something I can go to to re lean how to write a report for a book. Not a high school report by for elementary age. Actually I need a whole refresher course in elementary English. Help?
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Replies (11-13):
twilightmom6545
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Thank you all for the advice!
celticdragon77
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I wasn't going to approach book reports as a "proof that you read it" sort of thing.

I think of it more as breaking apart a book - understanding its parts. Slowing down to analyze a book. Also, book reports are a good exercise of grammar, spelling, research reports, note taking, and the etc.

There is a better understanding of something when you can both take it apart and put it back together.

Even when my kids were very young, we did projects on books and authors. My kids have read LOTR series, Eric Carle books, Shel Silverstein, Jon Muth... We would spend a few weeks on Eric Carle books - do projects, have discussons, compare the books... 

We even had pet hermits when we read Eric Carles "Hermit" book.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

As an aside, I would not require many book reports from your students. If they have to write one for each book the read, for instance, this can kill a love of reading for some.

I agree with this! If you want to know what they think about the book & know that they read/comprehended it sit down with them over a snack & discuss it with them just like you would do with a friend over a book the both of you have read. I find that you get better answers that way over a book report. If you are wanting them to write to improve writing or typing skills have them write or e-mail family & friends that they would like to stay in contact with.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN