Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: 'Dead' Woman Suddenly Opens Her Eyes Right Before Doctors Take Out Her Organs

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

'Dead' Woman Suddenly Opens Her Eyes Right Before Doctors Take Out Her Organs

by Kiri Blakeley

One thing I've always been proud of being is a registered organ donor. Why wouldn't anyone be one? If you can save a life after you don't need your organs anymore, that just seems like the right and honorable choice to make. But then you hear something like this! A woman at a hospital in New York had died and was about to have her organs harvested when -- the "dead" woman opened her eyes! Lord have mercy, that's some scary ass shit.

The 41-year-old woman, Colleen S. Burns, had reportedly been admitted to the hospital following a drug overdose. She was pronounced brain dead. However, a nurse performed a reflex test and found Burns' toes was still reacting, and nurses also noticed that her nostrils flared, she was breathing independently, and her lips and tongue were moving.

For some head-smackingly bizarre reason, she was nevertheless prepped for surgery for organ harvesting. She was even given a sedative -- even though she was thought to be dead?! (Hello, the dead probably don't need sedatives!)

And then, all of a sudden, Burns opened her eyes. Finally, the surgeons backed off with their scalpels. Shudder.

The woman's mother said that her daughter wasn't even upset about almost losing her life to a mistake -- because she had been suicidal anyway. Tragically this brush with death didn't change Burns' mind about hastening her own, and she later committed suicide. No word on whether her organs were harvested for real this time.

The hospital has reportedly been investigated and fined. But frankly this makes me kind of worried. Are doctors so eager for new organs that they're ready to jump in there and start pulling them out even if you might still need them? It's almost enough to make me rethink my donor card.

But I've read too many miracle stories about people's lives being saved because of organ donors. I think the chances of something happening like with this woman are a lot less than the chances of saving someone's life with your donation.

Even so ... gives you the chills, right?

Are you an organ donor?

Does this make you think twice about it?

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I'm not an organ donor. Honestly, it sounds like her organs were later wasted when she actually succeeded in suicide. That might be part of why this almost happened. What this has to do with homeschooling, um, I'm not sure.

MacMamaof5
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Um...changing the status on my driver's license---ASAP!!!!!

Cafe MichelleP
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi.

I placed the OT in the title so that members would know that this topic of discussion was not a homeschooling topic. It is a hot topic of discussion that I thought would generate conversation.  :)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I'm not an organ donor. Honestly, it sounds like her organs were later wasted when she actually succeeded in suicide. That might be part of why this almost happened. What this has to do with homeschooling, um, I'm not sure.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

This is not the first time I have heard stories about them declaring someone dead, when they were not. 

It is sad that she ended up killing herself in the end. 

The tone in this article, makes such a tragic story, sound light - or something. I don't like how this was written. 

I was a registered organ donor for a VERY long time (my entire life), but the last time that I renewed my license, I asked that it be taken off. The more I learned about it, the less I was interested in being a part of the process. I will just focus on helping people while I am alive - I am content with that much.

FootballFan12
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I agree. The tone of the article is throwing me off.

I am a registered organ donor but I'll be honest, I have heard of stuff like this happening and it does make me a bit apprehensive about the whole process. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

This is not the first time I have heard stories about them declaring someone dead, when they were not. 

It is sad that she ended up killing herself in the end. 

The tone in this article, makes such a tragic story, sound light - or something. I don't like how this was written. 

I was a registered organ donor for a VERY long time (my entire life), but the last time that I renewed my license, I asked that it be taken off. The more I learned about it, the less I was interested in being a part of the process. I will just focus on helping people while I am alive - I am content with that much.

Momof697
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I wopuld donate any that is viable to be donated. I am already a blood donor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)