Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm thinking of trying something this year.

I'm thinking of starting a 5 week on/1 week off system. It just make a lot more sense for us. My theory is that it will give my DD a needed break and give me time to plan the next 5 weeks.

Has anyone tried this?

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM

We follow the school schedule, though I think the long break in the summer is tedious. LOL

I think whatever works for your family is fine! I'd love to shorten that summer break to about 4 weeks then take another break from Thanksgiving through New Years (I should be an Aussie!).

jillybean1023
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM

No but it sounds interesting....I am not sure how I would do it in the summer though....we love being outside

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM

We do year round schooling with about 2 weeks off in July this year. 

We work Monday - Friday from 8-12.  If the older 2 children do not finish their work they are required to finish it on thier on time and can not have their date night on Saturday and Sunday if they do not finish.

Every 2 or 3 weeks I give them a lighter schedule. 

My 6 year old is doing CAVA (k12) again and she wants to start early so she can do this with us and not get behind. 

chlippr77
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Our plan for this year is pretty much a 6 week on, 1 week off plan.  A couple of exceptions (like around the Holidays), but I am excited to do it this way.  Actually we started our school year almost two weeks ago, and it's kinda nice to think that I only have four more weeks to go before we get a week break.

Christie1952
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

No, but it sounds good. 

oahoah
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Kind of. KONOS has a similar schedule but I think theirs is 6 on and 1 off.  We are not so structured and I will decide to take a break earlier/later if I feel we need to.  Give it a try, worst that happens is you find it doesn't work that well for you.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM

We're doing something similiar this year.  I'm not sure exactly how many weeks it will be, but since we are not taking a long summer break, every other month or so, we'll take a week off.  That way I wont stress about "being behind" and the kids get a break

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:50 AM

This is my first year return to homeschooling - we are doing year round, with only 4 weeks planned as breaks. I will be marking what we did each day, for how long, etc. If we need to take time off, then we can. After a year, I am hoping to better have an idea of what is realistic for my kids. I will have what we marked down as a guide for planning next year. 

Your plan seems good. I suppose its just whatever works for each family...

Mommynay2
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I originally planned on homeschooling all year. I was going to start June 24, but life happened to hinder it. I had laryngitis, then I had some complaints to my doctor put me in physical therapy for my knees. I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis for my left knee and patellar tendonitis for my right knee. Then I had different appointments so it got delayed. I made a plan though, I made a folder for my daughter with summer work in it. I didn't put anything new except the rest of the multiplication tables. I want to see Destinay working on her own. She is 10 and going to the fifth grade.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

We do spend a lot of time outside, even when schooling.

Quoting jillybean1023:

No but it sounds interesting....I am not sure how I would do it in the summer though....we love being outside

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)