Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Song School Latin

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 4 Replies

Does anyone teach Latin to their young children?  I've been looking at Classical Academic Press's Song School Latin.  It looks attractive, and like it may be a great way to get the younger ones exposed to Latin before they have to really start studying it.  It says the program is suitable for students as young as 1st grade, I suspect because the workbook portion requires some reading and writing.  But, I'm thinking the songs might be great for even younger students to just informally listen to.  Thoughts?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Precious333
by Julia on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Never heard of it. We used classical conversations for all subjects, including latin. They have songs for their latin.
Britty1987
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Sounds interesting! We're doing ASL this year because I've taken 2 years of it, but I eventually want him to learn latin as well. Let me know what you find out :)
dazguti
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Yes, I will!  I received a reply from another group I belong to. The Mom said this : 

"I did this program with my daughter when she was in 1st grade and she LOVED
it. I would definitely encourage this program."

Sounds promising :)

Quoting Britty1987:

Sounds interesting! We're doing ASL this year because I've taken 2 years of it, but I eventually want him to learn latin as well. Let me know what you find out :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM

The workbook really just follows along the cd. It was a nice introduction, my only cimplant was its not entirely accurate, so when we moved onto learning conversational Latin the next year, there were some confusing moments. 

I ended up designing my own workbook & curriculum in order to have it be appropriate for the elementary school crowd, Song School was more like a pre-k curric. http://homeeducatorstoolbox.blogspot.com/2011/08/latin-fructus-latin-fun.html

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)