Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am looking for someone who can give me some one on one support.  It's great to come here and post stuff but I want someone that is willing to PM, email or text me with answers to all 20,000 of my questions.  No I'm not nuts, LOL, just nervous as crap.  I have to start HS my DD and DS in a little over a month.  I don't have anything prepared.  I have no clue what to start with.  How to start my "school" day.  Etc...

I'm so worried that I am going to fail at this.  I feel like most days they don't listen to me like I want them to and I am afraid they won't want to learn from me either. 

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (11-16):
trendy2
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I just joined yesterday. Now to figure out which groups. I do appreciate everyone's support on here. What types of subjects should I cover I'm the beginning for my two. 6yo can read. 5yo cannot.

Quoting jen2150:

I have two boys that I have homeschooled from the beginning.  They are going into 4th and 6th grade.  Feel free to pm me at any time.  Have you tried yahoo groups to find local groups.  It can really help to know homeschoolers locally.  There is nothing wrong with starting with a boxed curriculum.  I started with one.  It helped to know what I liked and didn't like.  I now use a very relaxed eclectic style.  I recommend you read as many homeschooling books as you can on the different methods.  

oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM

trendy are you aware of your homeschool law?  what age you need to start at?

trendy2
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I'm in NC.  It is my understanding that I need to start at the age of 7.  My son will be 7 in November.  My daughter will be 6 in January.

Quoting oredeb:

trendy are you aware of your homeschool law?  what age you need to start at?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Hi trendy. Welcome to the group!  :)

You may feel free to ask as many questions as you like, need or want to! That is what this group is for.  My name is Sonja and I have 7 kids one of which is already graduated and another well on their way. You may ask me anything and as many times as you need to. We ladies here love to help as much as we can. Just take a deep breatjh and know that you are on the best fsamily adventure ever. :)  

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM
I do almost the same subjects now as when my kids were in kindergarten. I just do them differently. When my kids were that age we did Science, Math, reading, writing, history, geography and art. I made up a lot of my own games. I also read books to get ideas as well. I also kept books for kids on all the subjects. If they have something they are really into then use that. Geography involved building a floor puzzle and driving their cars to different destinations. Make it very hands on. My sons learned to count by jumping on the trampoline. They learned letter sounds by taping letters to the floor and jumping from letter to letter as we said its sound. It was a lot of fun for them. Don't be afraid to experiment and change things as you need. br />
Quoting trendy2:

I just joined yesterday. Now to figure out which groups. I do appreciate everyone's support on here. What types of subjects should I cover I'm the beginning for my two. 6yo can read. 5yo cannot.

Quoting jen2150:

I have two boys that I have homeschooled from the beginning.  They are going into 4th and 6th grade.  Feel free to pm me at any time.  Have you tried yahoo groups to find local groups.  It can really help to know homeschoolers locally.  There is nothing wrong with starting with a boxed curriculum.  I started with one.  It helped to know what I liked and didn't like.  I now use a very relaxed eclectic style.  I recommend you read as many homeschooling books as you can on the different methods.  

marrionsmommy
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting trendy2:

Seeing as your son has already completed kinder , then the when u need to start doesnt apply, since he was already in the system he has to continue. As for yr daughter you can wait on her to "report" but since yr already going to be schooling yr oldest she will want to as well. On that note hello lol
I have a 6 year old going into 1st this year this will be my 3rd official year homeschooling. As far as what to teach this is what I do. I sit down and write out 5 goals for the year, in my sons case its intro to fractions, adding/subtracting 3 digits, reading more than 2 chapters in a sitting, etc. This way I tailor his curriculum towards reaching his goals this year,
Another thing I do is stick to basics, I teach language arts, and math first. Then add the other subjects once he gets a hang on that. Sometimes it takes alot of time to learn a new math concept and you spend so much time, it would not be benifitial to continue with 6 other subjects afterwards. Like last year some days all he could handle where a few worksheets on math and a draw write now page. I didnt push science, social studies, reading, handwriting and all the other subjects (I wanted). As long as I got him to complete his math lesson and his language arts then that was a good day. Now he can gets upset at me when he doesnt have a lot of work to do lol, he says im trying to rush him lol.Best advice I can give is that you know what they cannhandle, dont compare yr kids to others and say well johnny is doing 5 maths etc. They will get there at their own pace, you just have to figure out what it is.
Good luck feel free to ask me anything

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)