Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

curriculum question.....

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:39 PM
  • 9 Replies
I am wondering your opinions on curriculum for.kindergarten and second grader

We are with a charter. So far we use story of the world (love!) Singapore math, and classical conversations foundations guide, as well as van cleave science experiment books. I also have an eclectic reader for the first grader, but just use the book we have for reading, and i have a cursive book for my boys.
So, our main method is classical, but I think that I do a lot of child led learning as well.

So, what Im wondering is should i get a curriculum spelling and writing as well? I dont want to use only workbooks (the only workbook really is the math and cursive), but maybe i should get some sort of spelling book, although eclectic reader has spelling words. I dont push writing either. I want him to master reading before we focus on writing. When he is in 4th grade is when Im thinking of starting IEW. Are there any curriculum out there that helps prep him for that? What about for my kindergartener? Is there any good curriculum to help with reading? With my oldest I just made my own curriculum (games, puzzles, reading and using the whiteboard)
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oahoah
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I think what you are doing already is just great. I don't think there is curriculum prep for IEW but if you are able to hear any of the founder's audio seminars, which I did, it gives you a better idea of the program. I didn't use curriculum for reading but just practiced reading and also continued to read-aloud to them a lot. 

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Yeah. I have a video i can borrow. My mom was tutoring an iew class and went through the training, so she can help too.

Quoting oahoah:

I think what you are doing already is just great. I don't think there is curriculum prep for IEW but if you are able to hear any of the founder's audio seminars, which I did, it gives you a better idea of the program. I didn't use curriculum for reading but just practiced reading and also continued to read-aloud to them a lot. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.k12reader.com/first-grade-spelling-words/ 

I found this for spelling though the charter school my oldest is using this year for 2nd but I dont remember what I chose. 

I know this says 1st grade but my 2nd grader can not spell so we are starting way easy and moving forward from there.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. i will take a look :)

Quoting debramommyof4:

http://www.k12reader.com/first-grade-spelling-words/ 

I found this for spelling though the charter school my oldest is using this year for 2nd but I dont remember what I chose. 

I know this says 1st grade but my 2nd grader can not spell so we are starting way easy and moving forward from there.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:38 AM

I use Ring Around The Phonics.  It  is learning disguised as a game.  It is used to teach reading, phonics, comprehension, listen skills, blends, spelling, writing, and more language arts subjects.  Like the old room schoolhouse, Both children can play it at the same time even if they are learning different things. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I honestly love All about spelling, and there is no workbook :). This year we're going to be using Write Shop Jr, but they also have Primary for grades K-3 http://www.writeshop.com/writeshop_primary.htm. It rolls writing, editing, and grammar all into one, at least at the Jr level, and the primary level focuses on "Introduce beginning writing skills through games, crafts, picture books, and one-on-one teaching time" That way writing isn't just sit down and write, and you can still focus on reading.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are going into 4th and 6th grade and are ready to start working on writing.  I am going to be starting write shop.  I finally found one that focusing more on creative writing.  It has really neat hands on grammar lessons as well.  We have done the same with writing.  I wanted my kids to enjoy writing.  Our spelling is very hands on.  They pick all their spelling words.  They then learn them any way they wish.  They have come up with a lot of creative ways to learn them.  

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Sounds perfect! Thanks!

Quoting No_Difference:

I honestly love All about spelling, and there is no workbook :). This year we're going to be using Write Shop Jr, but they also have Primary for grades K-3 http://www.writeshop.com/writeshop_primary.htm. It rolls writing, editing, and grammar all into one, at least at the Jr level, and the primary level focuses on "Introduce beginning writing skills through games, crafts, picture books, and one-on-one teaching time" That way writing isn't just sit down and write, and you can still focus on reading.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I 2nd All about Spelling!  LOVE it!  My kids were having such a hard time with the other program we were using, and now they look forward to spelling!

Quoting No_Difference:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)