Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I'm sure all of you homeschooling veterans hear this a lot, but... I am a tiny bit confused about our decision to homeschool. My husband and I want our DD (4) in pre k but we have decided we want to homeschool. If it goes well this year I plan to do it next year for Kindergarten and so on. My daughter is so excited to stay at home to learn but I catch myself sometimes wondering if it is the right thing to do. I worry a little bit because I don't want her missing out on fun school experiences. Making friends, recess, backpacks (lol), and all of that fun school stuff! But then again I believe I can give her a better education than a teacher who is in a room with 30 other kids who also need attention. Did any of you homeschooling moms go through something similar? How did you decide what was right for you and your children? Any tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! XO
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Replies (11-17):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
The school experience as we know it has only been "normal" for humans for about 100 years. And remember that for some kids, there is nothing fun about being away from mom and home, in the company of strangers, getting bullied and being confused because the class moves too fast and you can't keep up. There is nothing fun about school that you can't give her at home. Get her a backpack and a lunch box if its that important to you. But after a couple of years of this lifestyle, you'll wonder why you ever though brick and mortar was normal.
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Just because you home school doesn't mean that your child can't have the thrill of new clothes for the school year (I always looked forward to that) or a new backpack or lunch box.  We've home schooled for years (our oldest will be starting his last year of college in August, and our youngest is 6 and will starting home schooled second grade).  We always had a lot of outside "group" and individual classes -- and of course you needed to take books and things in a ... backpack.  Also, snacks and lunch go into a metal lunch box that can be brought in the car when they're on the go between outside classes.  I also recommend sending your child (if you can afford it) to good camps -- either day or sleep-away -- during the summer.  It gives  you the best of the school experience without a long term commitment or a lot of the negatives. 

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM

You need to think about all the horrible things she will miss by being educated at home! As far as fun things you can do many fun things as a family.  How I decided?  I absolutely HATED sending my children off to school ( in the late 80's and early 90's). I hated what they were exposed to and hated being away from them!  I loved them and we all loved being together.  I let them skip quite often. lol   The very week I learned of home education I yanked them out and have been at it ever since (20+ yrs). 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I just have to stop reading at this post because it is a very open and honest answer. Most of the time, we DON'T know if we have made the perfect decision when we decided to homeschool BUT, we did know that it WAS the best looking option of all the options and secretly prayed or hoped that it was the "Right" decision.  After having decided and gone through a season or two of homeschooling and pulling a hair or two out(alot), we have found that homeschooling turns out to be by far one of THE BEST choices we have ever made regarding not only our children but also our whole family unit. 

Quoting rsrangel:

O and how did I decide it was right? I didn't at that time. Just closed my eyes and jumped I lol. But I have no regrets and love it.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM

First of all, doubt is normal. I believe it makes us better homeschool moms and parents. We take those doubts and use them as a springboard to delve into learning. 

That being said - you haven't started HSing yet so you don't realize that your kids will still have those experiences - especially the ones you listed. My boys have backpacks, they have friends, they have park days, they have co-op group classes, etc. they have these things because we are not the 'never leave the basement' type homeschoolers. In fact, I've never met a homeschoolers who doent leave the house ever. 

So my advice? Give it a try, even if you all realize HS isn't for your family, no permanent damage will have been done.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Looks like you have some great advice & info from the other Mom's.

My oldest went to PS until the middle of 6TH grade so I knew the good the bad & the ugly from personal experience as a parent & as a child that hated & despised every day of school from an early age. So I would make homeschool alternatives to anything my younger 2 have wanted so that they don't feel as though they are missing out by being homeschooled.

xoemmalee
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)