Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you girls do when you're frustrated?  Sometimes I feel like homeschooling is the best thing in the world and everything is going fine.  Other days I am just literally fighting my kid. :/ That was yesterday.  The timing was all wrong.  He was tired.  I was trying to get him to write out sentences.  He was bored.  My boyfriend was over playing music too loudly and playing with my 4-year-old, which distracted my 6-year-old.  Knowing that, I'm not super distressed over yesterday's lessons being a complete disaster...but I do hit frustrating points on a pretty consistent basis.  Is that normal?  I was never home schooled.  I know of only one other person IRL who currently homeschools. I get that I'm the odd man out.  So perhaps that's why I feel like I can't really vent ("If it's so hard, why not public school?" "Well, how do you even know he's on track? You must have a guideline you have to follow, right?").  

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking for is encouragement at this early stage in the game.  I love the idea of homeschooling and I'm hoping this will last all the way up until college (if he decides on college).  I also hope I really do well teaching him.  

My goal for educating him is not necessarily teaching him a certain amount of "things."  I want to establish a sense of wonder and a sense to ask questions about everything; I want him to challenge everything, including me.  

Anyway, thanks in advance. Sorry if this little rant is a little confusing. :) 

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Replies (11-15):
oahoah
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM

We've been doing this for 2 years, granted not super-long, but I am beginning to realize that yes, it is normal to have "off" days. We have had a lot of those but as we go on there are less. My boys are young & easily distracted.  Something that's helped me a lot is getting to know others who homeschool in my area, I have made a lot of friends and my kiddos have as well. I found my groups through Yahoo and Facebook.  Online groups can be helpful as well because it is hard at times and feels very isolating. Hang in there!

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM
My son can get easily distracted. That is the main reason I am homeschooling.

Some can learn with music or loud sound in the background and if he can't let him wear a headphone to block the noise.
It's normal to feel upset when everybody is having fun but him. I can't even make my son do more than reading on weekend because he wants to be around his father. That's when I let them do puzzles together while I am enjoying my me time.
marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:34 AM
Quoting mdwifentraining:

I'm using Horizon for Math and English. We typically do worksheets twice a week or so. Sometimes more. He doesn't really like them very much. He gets excited when he gets them right and loves to show them off, but really, his attention for sitting and writing is about 15-25 minutes. He'll do any computer program for as long as I'll let him, so I really want to look into a math program online. I think he'd excel that way. Luckily, he'll sit and let me read to him for hours. We're only on the kindergarten level, because I'm following school guidelines for ages (his birthday is in December). He'll start 1st grade whenever we finish up these workbooks. 

We do lots and lots of trips to museums and just outside. I try to make little work packets that he can fill in answers for (for example, we went on a walk and we tried to find geometric shapes in nature, etc). 

I live in VA, so it's a little bit more "strict" than other states (we have to test every year by August starting in first grade...or at least have a teacher asses him....stresses me a bit, but I know it'l be fine.)

I have to constantly asses myself about what I'm teaching him and how he's doing. I remind myself that last year he couldn't do half of what he does now. He knows how to sound words out, even larger ones. He knows how to correctly write most of the alphabet (minus a few....he swaps out b's and d's and writes some s's backwards, etc). He can add. He knows most of his coins. He can add small change together. He knows about clouds and how the seasons change. He knows about pollinators and how they are beneficial to us. He knows about the differences in organically and conventionally grown foods. He knows a little bit about pregnacy (I'm studying to be a midwife...comes with the territory, lol). He knows so much! He doesn't know everything that VA wants him to know, though. He can count past 100, but not be 2's or 5's. We haven't gotten to subtraction yet. He doesn't quite get rhyming. I don't know...stuff like that.  

He sounds just like my son he is also 6 with a december bday. We are doing 1st this summer and 2nd whenever we finish these workbooks. Ive found that the only way to work well with him , distrsction wise is to insert a fun game in between every boring subject. For instance we do a sheet of 26 math problems, then play a game inbetween. He is an only child so no other kid distractions here, but he does have a dad who works night so is in the living room (super close to us) playing VIDEO GAMES. So he always wants to run out and play with dad.

marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:39 AM
. We're only on the kindergarten level, because I'm following school guidelines for ages (his birthday is in December). 

Also are you sure yr following guidelines for grades, because dec bday being 6 turning 7 this year he should be in 1st not kinder. JTLYK ; ) My ds bday is dec.21 and he finished kinder last year and by school standards goes into 1st this year.

mdwifentraining
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Yeah. We Started the Kindergarten Curriculum last year, we are finishing it up. He is going to start his first grade curriculum by September, which coincides with school requirements.

Quoting marrionsmommy:

. We're only on the kindergarten level, because I'm following school guidelines for ages (his birthday is in December). 

Also are you sure yr following guidelines for grades, because dec bday being 6 turning 7 this year he should be in 1st not kinder. JTLYK ; ) My ds bday is dec.21 and he finished kinder last year and by school standards goes into 1st this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN