Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

curriculum vent

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 10 Replies

Getting ready to start our 3rd year and was feeling really encouraged because I am more relaxed and thought I had decided what we'd use this year. I had been given KONOS and hardly used it last year but decided to use it this year. Well I sat down to pre-plan and am worried it is not going to work for me. I am not super-organized or very good at planning ahead.  I really love the idea of KONOS because it includes or develops character training as well as the educational aspect but am just worried because I don't know if it will work (I am not a pessimist but am thinking it isn't going to work for us), primarily because I have to know about 2 weeks ahead what books to request from our library.  Should I just give it a try or get something else I think will work (we used MFW last year for a bit so that's an option and I also have a couple other options in mind). What would you do?  

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:07 AM
We were using FIAR and it was a GREAT curticulum for us....but, like you, planning is not my thing. And with a small library 17 miles away, well.....it was too much for me. I bit the bullett and ordered Heart of Dakota for this year, especially since I have surgery this week with a long recovery ahead. It came this week and at first glance it looks perfect for us....and there is VERY little planning needed,
celticdragon77
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I *think* that if you already have some gut instincts of what is practical to who you are and your situation... then it is likely accurate and you should trust that.

There are a lot of things that I think look really awesome, but I know the reality of my situation and who my kids are... 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Good luck on your surgery!

Quoting BramblePatch:

We were using FIAR and it was a GREAT curticulum for us....but, like you, planning is not my thing. And with a small library 17 miles away, well.....it was too much for me. I bit the bullett and ordered Heart of Dakota for this year, especially since I have surgery this week with a long recovery ahead. It came this week and at first glance it looks perfect for us....and there is VERY little planning needed,

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Is there any way you can customize it to fit your needs?

lucsch
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I love Heart  of Dakota because of this very thing. I do love our library, but I don't want to count on it. I love having all the plans nicely organized on a two page spread per day separated by subject into boxe and already done for me, and all of the books for the whole year are on my book shelf. That's hard to beat IMO.

BramblePatch
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Thank you! Kinds thoughts or prayers are appreciated...I am having my first hip replacement surgery and am not pleased at the thought of getting my bone hacked out, lol.

Quoting mem82:

Good luck on your surgery!

Quoting BramblePatch:

BramblePatch
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM
I am sitting here reading my two guides (Little Hearts and Beyond) and am stunned by the simplicity in a such a full curriculum.

Quoting lucsch:

I love Heart  of Dakota because of this very thing. I do love our library, but I don't want to count on it. I love having all the plans nicely organized on a two page spread per day separated by subject into boxe and already done for me, and all of the books for the whole year are on my book shelf. That's hard to beat IMO.

lucsch
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:52 AM

LOL, yes, those are very simple, yet get the job done. Bigger is a step up. Preparing is, too. Then, it takes off! By the time some people get to the middle guides, they get discouraged because it is taking their student 5 hours per day. They chose HOD based upon the short easy days they saw in Beyond and didn't expect the rigor in the older guides. I am so excited every time the author releases a new guide (the 9th grade guide is done now). She has an amazing handle on, well, everything! I feel my daughter is getting the education I wish I had, especially in the aspects not taught in public school.

Quoting BramblePatch:

I am sitting here reading my two guides (Little Hearts and Beyond) and am stunned by the simplicity in a such a full curriculum.

Quoting lucsch:

oredeb
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM

ive used konos before and didnt have any problems with the books, but im a planner,

its a fun curr. lots of good ideas in it! i also use ideas from it now days

if your not a planner you might want to get something thats already laid out for you,  also you can make a list of all the books your gona need now(i do all my planning in july and aug.) and have it on hand so you can just order the books when needed from library.

oahoah
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM

HOD is actually one I've been considering, thanks! Good luck & speedy recovery with your surgery.

Quoting BramblePatch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)