Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What has been or is your greatest challenge with homeschooling??

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Getting over my own & my Hubby's "school mind". To see learning in everything including the things we have deemed as time wasters!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine was pregnancy. I could barely manage to get up out of my bed, much less do lessons. Lol! Even having a baby around was easier than that pregnancy, school wise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

The younger kiddos! Definitely, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

CatFishMom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Finding a smooth rhythm. Im awful with schedules, so I'll make up all my lesson plans, be all enthusiastic...for a week. Then I slack off and I let my son do the same. :-/ It's difficult to keep at it every single day, doing all of what I have planned-which is sad because I try hard to schedule to a minimum so that I WON'T have that problem. Im going to work really hard this year to stop that since next year is when I have to legally register him with the school board and I want to have a good rhythm down for when we have to be accountable to someone else.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Being an introvert, my biggest struggle has been recognizing my kids' needs for extra curriculur  activiities and social interaction. Since I myself don't feel the need for it, I am often not always aware of my kids struggling with boredom. Fortunately, dh is the extrovert and he often encourages the kids to engage in ways I would never think of. They've recently started volunteering at our church's outreach ministry on Sun nights together, leaving me at home alone(thank you Jesus, lol). But this is why its important for us to be a team as parents. I have no problem seeing to their educational needs. He could never school them, but he is awesome at all the enrichment stuff I don't think about.

oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM

good post debra!!

Quoting debramommyof4:

My biggest challenge has been giving up the school room expectations.  I do keep a school room because it makes organizing easier.  But I did expect the kids to behave like they were in a school classroom when we first brought my oldest home from public school. 

I have learned to not expect that and am hoping this year I will not struggle as much with it.

oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

oh yea that worrying sure doenst make it easy to hs! our kids arent the only ones learning while we homeschool! 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

The hardest thing was letting go of worrying so much. I didn't achieve it until VERY late in our homeschooling. I wish I had though and much sooner.

oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM

yes, that was hard at first, but i noticed as time went by it got a lot easier, now i make my lesson plans on fri or sat of each week and it only takes me a half hours at most!

Quoting kmath:

I haven't really started yet, but the hardest part for me so far is getting all the lessons planned and scheduled.  I am figuring it out as I go, but it can be a major pain!

oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM

ive had to learn this also! so much more peaceful and calm!hahahah and fun

Quoting gratefulgal:

Learning that it all doesn;'t have to be done today. We school through the year, so I don't have to be *quite* so anal about getting everything done today. There is always tomorrow, and somehow if we don't get as in depth as I would like, we always seem to come back to it at a later time.

oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM

oh yes usmom i know what you mean, except its my school mind, i learn from my husband (he quit school in 3rd grade and never went back) he has a whole different idea of schooling than i do! helped me a lot,

Quoting usmom3:

Getting over my own & my Hubby's "school mind". To see learning in everything including the things we have deemed as time wasters!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN